Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

69-75 Roadster owners PLEASE READ. BIKINI TOP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

As all of you are aware nobody makes a ready made bikini for our trucks. What would a made for K5's with factory roll bar bikini be worth to you guys? I'm serious here.
    I have an idea on how to make one. I'm willing to pass it on to a company that is capable of making one that I now have a contact with. It would be a simple one like you see on Jeeps and FJ's It would involve a track or snaps on the windsheild header and a couple of tie off cleats on the inside edge of the bed rails. This would be for truck that have a factory bar or a cage and most already do. It would be a quality product. Not something that's going to tear up first time you use it. It would be something that last years. Many that already have full soft tops will already have some of the hardware on their trucks.
    Would it be worth say..... $75 bucks? possibly a little less if you already have a compatible soft top that has the right hardware. Might be able to save like $15.
    Might even be available through the CK5 store. I got to have serious interest to get this company to concider making this. There will still be some development costs for them to make the thing so they are not going to make it unless they know they can sell a few.
    WOULD YOU BUY IT????

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd go for it. I love taking the top off of my '75, but on the highway the wind buffet is pretty nasty. A bikini top would be just the ticket for the trip to the trail head. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Hmmmmm maybe a wind jammer too? hehehe. I made a jammer out of a peice of plexi. Worked great. Drove the truck topless well into November. Windows up and jammer in place hardly any wind got to you. Just tickled your hair. When I installed shoulder belts off the cage I couldn't use it anymore.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I used to have a 72 K/5. I bought a soft top for it and the POS lasted less the 2 months. I ended up putting the hard top back on for the rest of the summer. Just to heavy to keep taking off and putting back on. I would have loved one that lasted.

5. Grim-Reaper

come on guy's!

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

count me in i have no idea how much those heeper guys pay for theirs, but would be willing to pay up to $100 for one that will work with the specialty tops. lil lady say i can order mine in 2 week/forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

7. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Sounds good to me Grim. Although I've got a lot to do before I reach the bikini top point. Roll cage, etc.

8. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I'd love a bikini top for $75 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I've already got one on my '74 but as soon as my '73 gets on the road I'd buy one.

-Aaron

9. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

YES im interested. A bikini top would be awsome.

10. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I too wwould be interested in one when the funds are avalible..OR I guess that I could just invest in a sunscreen company ( sense I will be buying it by the gallon size--I am a red head need I say any more )...mike

11. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

sounds good to me too, but how far back would it go?? enough to cover rear passengers and keep the cooler out of the sun??

rob

12. Grim-Reaper

Well I'm thinking to the factory hoop is going to be the most sales but I got a full cage and 2 kids also. Hmmmm might be a possiblility to get an extra long. I'll talk to them to see once I can show interest in it to justify them making patterns for it.
    I'm interested so as to have some shade but not risk the nice soft top on the trail. As many tight trails I run with low hanging braches there is the real possiblilty of snaging the top. I would be less mad if I damaged a reasonably inexpensive bikini.
    Simple is the key to keep the cost down to where the company can make them quick and cheap so we can get them for a reasonable price. We start getting into bows to suport it then we might as well go a whole top. This will have to be suported by existing roll bars to keep the cost down.

13. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

good points. i am still interested though.

wehn is everybody headin to tellico??

rob

14. Grim-Reaper

I don't know. Seems nobody has anytime to organize a Tellico run little lone make it.

15. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

i'M DOWN LOVE TOPLESS WHEELIN LOVE THE BIKINI TOP IDEA I AM SUPPRISED A COMPANY HAS'NT MADE ONE YET!?!!

16. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Grim
    Great idea - a few suggestions:

I would prefer a header that bolts on in the exsisting mounts for the hard top.

If it is necesssary to drill holes to install some type of track, let's make it compatible with the Fasttrac top.

I personally would not go the snap route - I already have a Kayline snap type top on the 72 - I do not planning on drilling holes in the Jimmy...

Again, great idea!
    JB

17. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Count me in.

18. 75BLAZER

75BLAZER Registered Member

I would want one! I'm useing a bikine top for a cj-7 right now and it works but does not look great. It's a little to narrow.

19. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Bestop part # 52505-01 it's made for a 55-75 CJ5 works great on mine and goes all the way across the windshield frame and cost $40.99 at my work.

20. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Here are some pics <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5crawler.rockcrawler.com/photo3.html>http://www.k5crawler.rockcrawler.com/photo3.html</a>