Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

69 lift kits

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6335, Jul 18, 2003.

1. 6335

6335 Registered Member

trying to find softest 10" front leafs for my 69 .Anybody have any ideas? :help: :k5: [color:red] [/color] naknott

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    trying to find softest 10" front leafs for my 69 .Anybody have any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="red"> </font> naknott

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHHAHA /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Whew....that was a funny one! You used the words "soft" and 10" Lift in the same sentence! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seriously, if you think about the amount of arch that will HAVE to be in any 10" spring, there is NO way it's ever going to be soft. How much tire are you trying to get clearance for? 44's? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. 6335

6335 Registered Member

I have 42s I am trying to get the softest of my options. Any other ideas for the front?

4. Greg72

Coilovers and Link suspension......?

It's not going to be cheap, but at least you can keep it softer....

I take it you don't want to do any fender cutting?.....not that I blame you, it hurts to think about hacking a 1st Gen....especially a '69 (less than 4000 made!) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have 10" leaves, there not bad, I think my Blaze rides good, I do have adjustable shocks, they make a difference, but I think they do ride pretty soft.

6. 6335

6335 Registered Member

any good setup ideas for what kind of coilovers and where to locate 4 links? If I go with leafs does 10" leafs and 2" body seem about right? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    any good setup ideas for what kind of coilovers and where to locate 4 links? If I go with leafs does 10" leafs and 2" body seem about right? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself here....

What is this truck going to be used for? Be honest.....

If you want to make a real offroad trail rig, 10+2" of lift is WAY too much. You risk rolling over on every obstacle.

If it's for mud....OK....that amount of lift is probably alright and from what I know of mud trucks, they tend to use stiffer suspensions anyway (make that a vote for leafs over coils)

If it's to get chicks ( /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) then don't waste your time on coilovers either. I doubt most women would know the difference..... Multilinks are REALLY expensive, and that's assuming you know how to build it yourself (which most people don't). If you have to pay a shop to do it, the budget goes out the window. Just as an example a single King Coilover shock is $900 or so... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

OK, enough of that ranting and raving......why don't you tell us what this truck is being built for, and help us narrow the choices a little bit. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. 6335

6335 Registered Member

I have a 86 blazer I use strictly in the sand.The 69 is going to be used in the mud and some trails. I dont need to pick up chicks ,i am married with two kids one of which is a 1 year old chick. i have run 40s on sec. generation before i am just new to the 69.I am just looking for some other opinions.I am new to this club so I am still learning some of the unsaid rules. Thanks for keeping me straight /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. Greg72

Well the other thing you can do is locate the guys who are running similar sized lifts/tires on a 1st Gen. I can think of two CK5 members right off the bat:

1FNHIK5 &lt;- 1st Gen on 44's
    dysphemism &lt;- 1st Gen on 42's

Try searching for their posts and pics....maybe send them a PM and ask for some input on your thread..??? There really is no RIGHT answer, the important thing is to understand all the options and what the tradeoffs are. That way, when you start spending the $$$, you feel confident that you are doing the right thing for YOU!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 6335

6335 Registered Member

Appreciate the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif