Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'69 to '91Blazer vs. '92 and newer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gandolf, Aug 8, 2000.

1. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

\'69 to \'91Blazer vs. \'92 and newer

I previously owned 2 full size Blazers. A '74, and later a '77. I recently decided to purchase my third full size Blazer/Tahoe and was thinking about a '92 to '97. I know they look different but I'm interested in the mechanical differences. Such as...is there is a difference in the suspension and drive train in the '92 and newer vs. the '91 and earlier. I question this because the Colorado K5 website only refers to '69 thru '91. If there is a vast difference, then I would purchase an '89 to '91 and would be just as happy with it. I need your help to update my Blazer knowledge and would appreciate multiple points of view on this. Thanks!

2. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Re: \'69 to \'91Blazer vs. \'92 and newer

The MAIN difference is 92 and up use the IFS (Independent Front Suspension) which has more drawbacks than benefits, CV joints are weak and like to leak, IFS frontend's are also expensive to fix.
    An IFS 4"-6" lift kit cost $1000-$1700 parts only, with labor installed will run you over $2000.
    Non IFS 4"-6" lift will cost $400-$700, under $1000 installed!
    The rest of the drivetrain has remained about the same.
    An 89-91 would be a much less expensive choice, all around!
    And still have all the Creature features (power everything)[​IMG]

3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thanks Scoobydoo...you saved me from driving an hour and a half to see a '92. I think I'll stick with the tried and true + less expensive/easy to locate parts.
    Does anyone care to add their comments? Thanks in advance.

4. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

1996 and up also have the VORTEC (whatever that means) engines that were vastly more powerful and efficent than the previous 95-88 TBI

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

5. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

91 and older are simply better trucks.....because they are trucks. to add to what scooby said, they are just easier to work on, LOOK BETTER, and have character...something a vehicle you see every few miles can not have...(newer blazers/tahoes). i get exited when i see a true K5 cruising beside me...hopefully one day i'll see you in one....69-91....Kelboski

6. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I would also like to add, just as the above says, it depends on what you want out of your truck. If you dont venture off road too much get the 92+. But if you polan on modifying the wee out of it and driving it where you wouldnt want a $10,000+ Tahoe/Blazer/Yukon to go them get a K5. Personally, I have a 85K5, girlfriend has 96Tahoe as well as my parents having a 92 & 95 burban, mine is just a whole different ball game, while theres is soft riding, nice inside and very accomdiating. Just depends what you will use the truck for. Now solid axle swaps in the fornt have become easier and cheaper for these trucks(92+), thought about that??

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I own a '90 Jimmy, my wife drives a '99 Tahoe. The only thing these vehicles have in common is that they are made by General Motors and they both are 4x4. The Tahoe is armed with a large grill guard, skid-plates, and a locking diff. (It's getting hell to get out of some of these parking lots these days.) The vortec engine is a vastly improved ver of the 350. I don't know what prices of the 92 and up are running elsewhere, but around here $10,000 won't buy you much.

8. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

Then theres always the removeable top! You cant beat that in the summertime!

These things are EXPENSIVE

9. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I agree...the only reason I bought my 78 was because the top came off....and the fact it was cheap!

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The '92 and newer versions share basically the same engine, transmission, transfer case, and rear axle. Other than those items, they are completely different including the frame, body, and the independent front suspension. I really like my '90 for the solid front axles and ruggedness they provide when fourwheeling, but for a daily driver the newer versions are very nice.
    And yes, the '96 and newer Vortec series 350's will smoke the older carburated or TBI 350's. The Vortec was rated at I think 255 hp, while the next powerful TBI was only 200-210.

11. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I got my 89 because of the solid axle and removable top. Took me two years to find what I wanted (body and $$). Once I started modifying it, I like it even more. Now I'm thinking about getting one from the first generation.

12. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Alright, Basically it depends on what you want to do with your rig. Obviously, if you like all the new technology options and the nice street ride and you just plain want to keep the truck on the road and maybe hit a dirt trail here and there, you want the 92' and up. Rust should be at a minimal, so you won't have to worry about body work and the interior will probably be extremely nice and etc, etc.
    Now, if you want a trail truck that RIDES like a truck, go 69' to 91'. Now, for the same amount you spend on the newer 92' and up trucks, if you have the time ofcourse, you could build yourself a badass 69' to 91' truck. Ofcourse the 87' to 91' truck comes with a lot of the new technology options, but if you find those in nice conditions, then you will be spending atleast $6000 and up. (to me that's a lot, but to you, it maybe chump change). And like the others have said, IFS is weak, but gives you a very nice ride. 69' to 75' you have the FULL convertible tops. 76' to 91' you have the half convertible. 69 to 72' is the old 1st generation body style. 73' is the newer generation style. Hope this helps yah.
    Boss

13. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all of you for your input. It was all informative and very helpful. I looked at and drove a '93 and although it rode nice, It didn't feel like a Blazer like I remembered. So I made a firm decision on a '89 to '91. Yesterday and today, I called on 8 and looked at 4. I found "The One" and made an offer that was accepted. We do the transfer tomorrow. It's an '89 Blazer Silverado...Dark Blue and Silver two-tone with dark blue top. The paint is one year old and still looks wet. The interior is blue and is in like new condition. It has an Alpine CD player with Alpine amp and speakers including subwoofer. It has a 4" Rancho lift kit and BFG Mud Terrains on Centerline Alloys. The ride is extreemly stiff so I will probably replace the springs and shocks to get a more reasonable ride. The repair history is well documented and many parts have been replaced with genuine Chevy parts. The vehicle was well taken care of. I was lucky to find one so clean and so fast. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve and can't wait to drive it home!
    Again...Thanks for all your input...It was all factored into my decision.

14. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

see guys you give out all that info, now i'm sitting here all jealous about the truck he found! Ah hell , welcome to the family the more the merrier!! p.s. now we have to see some pics of the new baby!

MIDCAN k5 DIG A HOLE!!!

15. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I'll get some pic's up as soon as i can.

16. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

VOTE FOR TOPLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!