Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

69 Top Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by weldor, Apr 6, 2003.

1. weldor

weldor Registered Member

I've inherited a '69 Blazer that is in rough shape. I've gotten some excellent info from the cancer sticky and several other posts. I may not have looked in the correct place to find the answer that I need. So... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I need to know how many bolts, screws, or brackets hold the top to the body. I think that I have removed all of the bolts along the bed rails where the top meets the body. I have removed one bolt from the passenger side and one bolt from the driver's side that is located over the windshield. These brackets have three bolts, two in the fiberglass top and one in the metal windshield frame. I removed the one bolt in the metal window frame in each bracket.

Should I now be able to remove the top? This top is glued, sealed, or siliconed to the windshield frame. I'm afraid to start prying and cutting until I know for fact that all of the bolts are removed.

Also, there are two small holes that look like possible bracket attachment holes over each door in the fiberglass top. These holes may be four inches apart for each side. Whatever was there is now gone. Any idea what these were for?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

There are 2 bolts that go up through the sunvisor bracket into the top. There also should be 2 obvious brackets at the very rear by the tailgate that need to be removed.

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

tug and then look where its not budging....pull tug cut pry scream and see where your at when the dust settles.

4. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

What Triaged said. Another hint, if the bolt in the sunvisor spins freely it's because the nut in the top may have broken itself loose from its plate or from the fibreglass. If this happens you can remove the whole sunvisor (two bolts to the windsheild frame) and it'll come off with the top - I had to do that on mine. Also, if you open the door, there's two small screws in a piece of rubber that's connected to the window rubber seal. these need to be undone or you'll pull the rubber out of the window frame on the top.

C