Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6cyl isuzu diesels in a GM???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Feb 5, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I got a 1ton 4x4 GMC dump from a friend of mine and plan to use it as a tow vehicle. The only problem is that it has a 350ci engine; not a very good towing engine. So I got in touch with someone that owns a diesel repair shop and they mentioned that I could bolt up an Isuzu diesel to my TH400. Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks.

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

The Duramax Diesel is a GM/Isuzu deal and has the normal bell housing. The duramax is a V8 though, Isuzu also makes a Duramax 7800 inline 6, but I don't know if the bell housing is the same. You can get the 7800 in ranges of 200 to 250 HP at 500 to 860 ft pounds of torque.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I recently removed an inline 6 Isuzu 6BB1 Diesel from my 74 3/4 ton 4x4 parts truck w/ a SM465. I did not put it in, but I drove it for a SHORT while that way...what a torque monster! The motor was out of one of the 25' Isuzu box trucks. Email me at poohbair692000@yahoo.com I think I have some pictures of it in there on my computer at work. I sold the motor w/ ALL accessories and custom brackets for 300 bucks to a guy that is gonna rebuild it and put it in his 1 ton 2wd dually.

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I found some pictures but I don't know how to post them up here. I can email them to someone if you can post them.