Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6lug 14bolt FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jul 29, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Had anyone done it? I dont think there is a wheel out there with a big enough center bore to allow the FF hub I had mine machined down to 4 5/16 and its not gonna work there not much more to take off before you get to the bolt holes either, All the wheels i looked at today have about a 4 1/4 centerbore /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hmmm never thought about that. I almost did the conversion too. I'll browse some sites and see what I can find for ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I never did understand the need to go 8 lug to 6 lug, except to save some money. Personally I like the look of the 8 lug, and the studs are bigger and more of them, gotta be stronger. I guess I get a little pleasure from seeing my Blazer with a 8 lug set-up knowing that they never came that way /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm sure for most people its because of the money invested into the wheels.

Me, I like the stock 6 lug ralleys, and that's one other thing to prevent me from going to a 14 or 60 in the back.

If the lugs were the weak point, most people would break those before they broke axles. You are right though, a 14FF with 6 lugs would just make the lugs th next weakest link.

In the grand scheme of things, I think the 6 lug setup will hold up to plenty of abuse for moderate off-roading (no reason to go 6 lug if all out though!), it's strengthening the axles/carrier without the matching 8 lugs that is the problem.

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Did a quick search and poof!

[​IMG]

Donovan is the man when it comes to this,he sells this setup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I guess thats the other thing I don't get, why invest money in wheels on your 4x4 if you use it as a 4x4? I picked up some 8 lug "rock crawlers" for like $32 ea to replace my bling bling chrome 6 lugs...for me its about function, I would never spend a lot on rims for my 4x4. It seems like cutting a corner to me to convert an 8 lug to 6 lug, it gives you no advantage except that it saves some money right now. I dunno, JMO, I like how my truck looks now vs. before, and doing the 8 lug swap in front make me feel like its stronger even if it really isn't /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Did a quick search and poof!

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, that damn search button at it again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

haven't heard many people with 14SF 6 lug rims loosing the tire, they still break the axle or u-joints...

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

here's a 8 to 6 lug hub....

[​IMG]

10. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Is that something you made or is that available for the masses?

Kris

11. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Even if a stock steel Ralley wheel could be machined out to fit around that hub body, what about the center cap? Can it be machined inside of it to fit around the hub body also? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Like Dorian, I, too, like the stock steel Ralley wheels with the caps and rings attached. One of the best looking setups offered by GM, IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

thats available...but the edges come out thinner around where the studs from the hub come through..

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess thats the other thing I don't get, why invest money in wheels on your 4x4 if you use it as a 4x4?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the thing for me personally. With the 8 lug setup, you can't have a set of the stock ralleys that I like. 6 lug only. So my choices (if I ever break a 10 bolt) are to lose the wheels I really like (and no, they weren't expensive, I just like them) or adapt a 60 or 14 to 6 lug.

Everyone has a different opinion, the difference is how the truck will be used. I won't EVER need the additional strength two extra lugs might give you, but some might. So there would be no reason for me to go 8 lug, and have to re-wheel with something I won't like.

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have to say Dorian you are much more of an auto enthusiast than I am when it comes to originality and appearance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I can understand why you would stay 6 lug. For me, my Blazer is a toy, and I have no problem cutting and modifying it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If the swap was merely to save money, I'd say no. To keep a stock appearnce cause you like it that way, than /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

ORU in CA will turn one into a 6 lug SF for a couple grand.

17. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

There is a company online that machines hubs for 14bff out of aluminum that are 6lug. Only problem is I cant find the website /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I will post it as soon as i find it. I dont think they were cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

berg

18. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

19. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

I could almost swear that I read on here one time that the early 90s light duty 3/4 tons had 6lug 14b sf. I don't know this for sure, but I read in this forum so it's gotta be right, right?

Kirk

20. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

6lug 14bolt SF are easy to find and you can find them in newer 3/4tons but I gotta FF