Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6lug to 8 lug conversion and backing plate Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Mar 12, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

6lug to 8 lug conversion and backing plate Q\'s

I got a 6lug 10bolt internal hub axle with 5.13's and a mini-spool. I'm wanting to swap on some 8lug hubs and rotors.
    What or how are the backing plates different between the two?
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Pics?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: 6lug to 8 lug conversion and backing plate Q\'s

i think the backing plate is bigger. most of the 6 lug came with 15" wheels and most of the 8 lug came with 16" or 16.5" wheels

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Backplates on the 8 lug setup are larger to bring the brake caliper away from center to make room for the larger rotors, i just did the conversion on mine, the bearings were the same, just bolted up the back plate,and installed the new hub/rotor assembly and i was off n rollin, some 3/4 ton setups use a different brake pad though, just depends on what calipers you have.

4. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I also just did mine and the hub and rotor fit on the spindle but the backing plate is slightly larger on the 3/4 ton. I even used the same calipers as they fit right on there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I did try to install the 3/4 rotor on the 1/2 ton backing plate /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif and the caliper bolt just barely hit the rotor.

5. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

I did try to install the 3/4 rotor on the 1/2 ton backing plate /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif and the caliper bolt just barely hit the rotor.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Thats one of the answers I was looking for before I tore into it.
    I think I have the rotor/hub tracked down, now I just need to find the backing plates /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

yo0ur old calipers will fit fine but the 3/4 backing plate is slithgltly bigger. I am sure yo can find them in any junk yard, but if not these people have brand new ones. Look first though, because they cost about $95 a piece.

side note: I will have those springs sent out first of the week for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

When i was shopping around for these backing plates, the only place i could find them was at the dealer, they wanted $89 each for them. Was going to do that until i got real lucky and ran into a 3/4 ton truck at a junk yard with everything except the locking hubs.

8. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Look first though, because they cost about $95 a piece.

side note: I will have those springs sent out first of the week for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

$95 is not doable... even for both side... I'm shooting for the about $50, then I'll have around $100 in the 8lug swap.

Thanks again for the springs /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    checklist on parts
    8lug hubs/rotors, 6lug 10bolt front axle with 5.13's and a mini spool and MM hubs, rear 5.13 gears for a 14bolt, warn premium locking hubs, an auburn and open diff for a 10bolt, stock 52" rear spring pack, 56" top leaves, homemake shackle flip rear, rancho front 4" springs, still need backing plates and 37-38" tires... as far as what I'm working on now, I'm doing the integrated rock sliders and front floors, then I'm going to hack the front fenders a little more, and start making seat bases and the front sections of the rollcage /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif