Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6x9 alternative mounting ideas?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ducttape114, Apr 6, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

im gonna lose my doors and build some tube ones. this means my 2 6x9s are going to need to go somwhere else. im thinking either build them into the dash of put them in boxes under the seat faceing forward. my concerns are that in the dash they are going to take up a lot of valuble space(duh), and on the floor the might not sound as good as its going to be echoing up under the dash and seat. i am rather un-educated in the ways of audio so please dont talk to tecnical. thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Weage shaped boxs mounted behind seat on sides about sholder high.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Why not build a small metal compartment for them in the tube doors?

I've never seen anyone do it, and it would be unique....you'd still have lots of open space to "peek through" for crawling or whatever.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im gonna lose my doors and build some tube ones. this means my 2 6x9s are going to need to go somwhere else. im thinking either build them into the dash of put them in boxes under the seat faceing forward. my concerns are that in the dash they are going to take up a lot of valuble space(duh), and on the floor the might not sound as good as its going to be echoing up under the dash and seat. i am rather un-educated in the ways of audio so please dont talk to tecnical. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I wouldn't put them under the dash...before I did that, I would look into some of those Q-Form kick panel replacements...they look good and sound good too. You might even decide not to worry with the 6x9's after that.

5. ducttape114

Z3PR, i though about this but in the future there is going to be no sheet metal beind my seat so that would make it difficult. id really like to find a permenent soulution.

greg, i thought about that but once in a while im going to need to put my real doors back on (rainy season, visting friends in bad areas) so i would prefer to not have to move them back and forth between doors. just doing the 12 door bolts and getting everything to line up is a pain. i would hate to have to move speakers around too. could get another set of speakers i guess. hmmmm

briandamage, what are these kick panal replacements you speak of? i have never heard of these? can you explain to me?

thanks everybody.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

How about something like a Jeep soundbar mounted up on the roll bar? That will let you aim them properly and keep them well up and away from harm during any deep-water crossings. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

There is always those headliners with the built in speakers, or head rests (Top of seats) with speakers.

8. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

briandamage, what are these kick panal replacements you speak of? i have never heard of these? can you explain to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

you can go ver to www.crutchfield.com and do a search for q-forms (or doa google search for other websites)

they're pretty neat. I don't have a set myself (yet)..buddy of mine has them in his 87 pickup and they sound sweet.
    Q-Forms Picture

from the Crutchfield site:

This unit allows you to mount a tweeter with a maximum diameter of 2-1/2 inches and a 3 1/2" to 5 1/4" midrange/midbass unit. The maximum frame width/diameter allowable for the midrange/bass unit is 6.125", so a few 6.5" units may fit.

I know there are some folks here that have them...they may be able to tell you a little more about them

9. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i have a set of the q-forms, soundz awesome, dont get in the way but a little for the emergency brake. incredibly expensive for a piece of plastin $200+. they sound awesome, its directed right at your ear, look good, blend very well, i like them, and have had many compliments too, makes for a very.... complete system, lemme know if you wanna know more....

10. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

maybe put in some bed side inner panels, and mount the spkrs there. That would also give you some storage if you did it right.

11. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

My dad put some 6x9s in the corners of the cab behind the seat. He used some pieces of paneling, mounted the speakers in them and then used some tape to hold them in place. He also put some insulation behind them to eliminate echoing. It was some good ol redneck ingenuity, but I'm sure you could come up with something similar but better thought out.

I have mine in the same basic area in some homemade plywood boxes. They sound pretty good and are out of the way.

12. ducttape114

i drive a K10 with a bench seat tough, so neither of those will work now anyways. i decded that with the doors off i cant hear anything anyways. so i guess it dosnt matter

13. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

While the Q forms are good. The dont protect your speakers. And I dont know about you all but if you ever go to the BEACH sand GETS everywhere, water gets everywhere. If you go mudding /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, mud gets everywhere on the floor, water gets everyone on the floor MAKING the Q-forms One STUPID solution /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. ducttape114

i thought the same thing. speakers on the floor arnt good.