Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6x9 kappa system

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BooShaK5, Dec 31, 2000.

1. BooShaK5

BooShaK5 Registered Member

Hi all,
    This weekend I've had an opportunity to get my hands on a brand new 6x9 3 way componenet speaker system for 200$ but I didn't get it yet because I don' t know how it sounds or how good of a deal it is. I've heard that the oval speakers don't sound as good as round speakers but they said the 6x9 kappa Inifinity's are super nice and produce bass well. The component system comes with 2 EMIT tweeters, 2 IMQ 6x9 woofers, 2 midrange 4" cones (butyl rubber surrounds), and a high performance passive crossover that serves as a capacitor for all the speakers in the system. Has anyone heard these speakers or know of the going price on this system. I didn't even find it on the Infinity web site, but it is being sold at a legitimate dealer. If anyone can give me input on that 6x9 component system, I will be ecstatic, since my time before it is sold to someone else is probably not too long. Thanks much,
    From Dave.

2. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Oval speakers sound no different than round speakers. Whoever told you that was wrong. Infinity makes nice speakers and a 3way setup for 200 bucks sounds about right for any company.

One question for you though, what do you mean the cross over serves as a capacitor for all the speakers? Just wondering.....

Dan Hathaway
    '86 K5 Silverado
    Pretty much stock for now but I've got big plans like most Blazer owners do :)

3. krisw

krisw Registered Member

i think that might be a bit pricey. Also, if they're 6x9's they arent components, they're coaxial. So theyre all together in one big bunch. You would probably be better getting a 6 1/2 inch component system. Just my oppinion.

4. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Ok, if its a coaxial 3way, then 200 does seem a bit high. But if its a component set 200 isn't bad. I don't think I've ever seen a 6x9 3way coax with a 4" mid range. Or an outboard cross over...except on the eclipse point source.

Dan Hathaway
    '86 K5 Silverado
    Pretty much stock for now but I've got big plans like most Blazer owners do :)

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

well i have both the component 5.25 set in front and the 6x9's in the back. i think the components sound better because they have the crossover, but the 6x9's pull in some different frequencies that the components don't.. mainly the lower end.. All in all they compliment each other nicely. Spend a little more and get the component set. i used crutchfield.com to order mine. peace

baja surf nazi