Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6x9's in door?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, May 27, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if 6x9 speakers will fit in the door of my 73 K20? Im trying to figure out what to do when I replace the AM radio. Any ideas??

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

In my 86 k5 I put 6.5 coaxials in the kick panals. It came out sounding really good. If you plan on replacing that factory headunit w/ an aftermarket cd player, you are going to have to trim the dash a bit but its not hard. This I also did. I plan on installing 6x9's in the rear stock locations, modifying the holes a bit to get em to fit right. This location provides good accustics for rear passengers and if you want to sit around on the talegate after wheeling you have good sound for that also. Another option would be to install 6x9s next to the read bench seat. In response to your 1st question, I dont think 6x9s will fit unless they are extreamly slim, because of the window, however I could be wrong. I used the kick panel because its a small area behind the speaker that acts as an encloser providing good bass and midrange response from the speaker.

What kind of gear do you want to run and what is your budget like? Also do you just want speakers or do you want to add in subwoofers to your system?

Sorry this is long winded, hope it helps.

Dustin

3. blazerhunter

blazerhunter Registered Member

ihave 6x9 in my 72 k5

4. trailblazr81

I have a Blaupunkt and JVC CD player. A sony 4 channel amp and a Jensen 2 channel amp. I have 2 pairs of 6x9's Sony and Kenwood. This is stuff Ive bought for various vehicles over the last 5 years. But this is the firsttime Ive had a regular cab pickup. The other stuff came from a 81 Blazer and 86 Blazer. I have a set of Blaupunkt component speakers with 6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter but those are about 12 years old. I would just like to use the stuff in a box taking up space in my garage. would 6x9's fit in an enclosure behind the seat??

5. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

my 82 K-10 has 6x9s.

6. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

mine also has 6x9s in the door
    a couple notes though, make sure you get some sort of weather seal for the back side of the door, and make sure you have a relatively strong grill (fully meshed works - NO PLASTIC) so that you dont accidentally stick your foot into your speaker

7. idf_johnny

idf_johnny Registered Member

They will fit no problem, as long as you do not have power windows. If you do have power windows about the most you can get is a 5.25 in the lowest front corner of the door. hope this helps.........

8. trailblazr81

Thanks Guys!!! Time to bust out the cut-off wheel and Sawzall!!!

9. alfieboy

alfieboy Registered Member

speakers

MY 87 has power windows and 6x9 s in front doors ..and rear area.. and in rear rear area 2 8 inch subs and 2 12inch subs in a custom box
    To mount 6x9s in power window area.. may need to get a 6x9 spacer which moves speaker out like 1 inch or so from surface,

Rick

10. trailblazr81

Hmmm. I actually have never seen those spacers. Can you tell me where I may find them online??

Thanks

11. alfieboy

unsure---on spacer

check any stereo outlet they are a older type item but were still being use din NY 2 years ago before I moved..
    Or search google for 6x9 spacers..or sppeaker spacers

12. alfieboy