Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

7.625 10B posi questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gambit420s, Sep 5, 2005.

1. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

i have a diff carrier from a 95 S-10 2WD blazer that had a towing package.

i put it in a 86 s-10 4WD, a few months ago, i had to get 4WD width 28spl axles as they changed from 26 to 28 spl at some point.

now i'm swaping it to a 91 2WD, my questions are this

1.**figured it out and no they are not 28 SPL** is 91 still 28 spline?? this doesnt really matter as i still have the 95 axles, somewhere.... :doah: but just need to know if i should dig them out first.

2. **answered** What is this locker exactly? gov-loc, posi-trac, or aftermarket?

3. **answered** what are the wear points in this type of diff? what should i be looking at, so far as freshening it up before i install it? it only has 55K mi's from the original vehicle, and less than 2K in the 4WD blazer.

4. **still dont know about this...** is it too redneck to run 30x9.50R15 mud tires in the rear, with only 25" ****-bag car tires in the front? and multi-color paint??

it only has about 3-4* of rake but with the paint, rust, body damage, and my fat ass, i think its showing the rosy hue of my nape.... the "POSSUM, The other white meat" bumper sticker prob doesnt help either...

Sep05101.JPG

Sep05102.JPG

Sep05103.JPG

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's a gov-lock.

Wear point is the case, they shatter with enough load on them. S10 I played with had a bad one, but I don't think stock those trucks put out enough power to guarantee failure like the full size units.

3. gambit420s

cool

i was thinking gov-lock, because of the pawl type mechanism, but i wasn't sure...

the case looks ok, no movement in the assy. but i dont think my 2.5 4cyl is gonna bust it either way...

oh well, in it goes... thanx dyeager

4. gambit420s

i swaped the carrier only, leaving the original r&p together, using the only torque specs i could find (90lb/ft on the ring gear to carrier bolts, and 60lb/ft on the bearing caps.) it went together well but, with everything torqued, i'm getting .010" B/L at the bottom tooth with the dial ind mounted to the housing... this was as close as i could get to 90* for a reading... but the pattern looks a little shallow, it's a little too close to the spider gears, not running off the tooth, but not quite centered either

ok new questions...

5. is this about the correct B/L for a gear set that has 100k+ mi's?

6. is this the correct place to measure B/L?

7. is the pattern ok so long as its still completely on the tooth and not too close to the end of the tooth?

well i'm gonna drive it home (50 mi both ways,) i guess if i make it back tommorrow, i'll know the answers but post up if you know anything relevent

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you want answers from non-paying members you need to link to the pics. I am not allowed to view them :rolleyes:

6. gambit420s

as much as i do want any answers, pony up the money.....

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I concur :wink1: The attitudes around sure are getting negative in regards to paying...or not :crazy: