Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

7" lift with Echobit flips, Driveshaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sled_dog, Feb 6, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

7\" lift with Echobit flips, Driveshaft?

I want to use the Echobit bolt on shackle flip. They claim like 5 3/4" of lift, is this true? I already have about 1 1/2" of lift out back thanks to a set of 3/4 ton capacity 6 leaf springs the previous owner installed. Thinking this wil give me somewhere around 7"s of lift out back. Will I have to lengthen my driveshaft with this? I really don't want to but if I have to its not out of the question. Also will I need longer brake lines? If it were just 6" of lift like I want I wouldn't worry but this whole number 7 scares me a little. I am going to use Superlift 6" springs and probably a zero rate to even it out up front.

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Re: 7\" lift with Echobit flips, Driveshaft?

Hey,
    Driveshaft...YES ! You might be looking at one that is maybe 2 inchs longer that your stock setup.
    Brakelines...YES ! The napa number that floats around here is ...4138068 rear and 38872 front
    Angles...YES ! With the flip you need to double check those angles beofre measureing for a drivesahft. Lowering your t-case might help depending on the angles.
    Swaybar...NO ! Ditch the sway. 3/4 ton springs and front 6inch spring will give a good ride without the sway bar.

Blake

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was planning on lowering and disconnects on the sway bar. Front driveshaft too I am guessing? Really don't want to deal with tweaking the transfer case. Maybe I should just sell my rear springs and put on a brand new set of stockers? Then I can just have a 6" front and back setup. Probably ride a lot better than the 3/4 tons. They are awesome for trailering and I love em but they ride pretty hard. Would I still be looking at lengthening the shafts with a 6" setup? I think brake lines and driveshaft would both be on the border of long enough huh?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

scratch it I will just spend the extra $90 and put on a 4" ORD Shackle Flip I guess. Should be somewhere around 5 3/4" lift out back.

5. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

If you have 6" of lift you'll need new brake lines. I had just 4" of lift then when I put 2 1/2" add-leafs giving me a good 6" my rear brake line was streched tight. It's amazing how far those things will strech!! but i wouldn't recomend it. I got those pro-comp stainless brake lines. Give me tons of room. Also They are a cinch to install. Just be sure to use a flare nut wrench, brass stripps very easy! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

Dont mean to steal the post, but if you have 6 inches of suspension lift, will you need to lower the transfer case or lengthen the driveshaft? Thanks.
    Harrison

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

lowering the Tcase, is a little rougher on the front driveshaft. Its prolly better to tilt the rear pinion up,

8. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

AK-5guy it really depends on how hard you wheel it in my opinion. I put 6"on mine and took it offroad several times without a problem. but when i broke a u-joint i had another DS built and it was about 2 and 1/2 longer than my stock one. Ultimately it's up to you. IMHO i think you should.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

When I went 6" lift, I had new drive shafts made, both front and rear.

10. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Paul, I agree. Anything around 6" and the shaft(s) will need to be lengthened. Just do the Borrego, and save the difference in cash you would have spent on the ORD kit for fixin' up your shafts! Sounds like a plan to me... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan