Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

7 lug Fords revisited

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jun 27, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ever since the last 7 lug Ford topic, I haven't seen any come into work. Finally one did today.

[​IMG]

Dispute that.

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no auto manufacturer in their right mind would do something like that. that's got to be a photochop, no engineer can be that stupid.

wait, you said Ford? nevermind. :haha:

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

photochop

lol

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

It's no photochop, my dad had one that only had 7 lugs. It was an early 2000's Ford. He got rid of it cuz' gas was killing him. He drive's almost 100 miles a day round trip. :D

Rick

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I called Ford Techline today. Talked to a Ford "Engineer". Told him the strange problem I was having with a Ford Focus sunroof. Told him what I did and what it was doing. He put me on hold for 10 minutes. Came back and said "I don't know much about that sunroof system, I'm going to give you the number for the company that makes it".... ok so a factory 05 Focus comes with an aftermarket sunroof... from the factory... I called that place, they said "that particular unit is made in Germany, we don't know mucha bout it..." sigh, got to love Ford's better ideas.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Smash it and then duct tape a piece of plexi in its place.

At least that is what the PO of my truck did...

7. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

I think 7 lug 3/4 tons were made from 97'-99'. They came with Firestone 17" tires. A tech at Furd Dealer told me that they were made w/7lugs so you couldn't change to a less expensive 16" or 16.5" tire at the time.

8. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where is the original thread for the furd 7 lug wheels?

9. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you guys do know that ford circled the problem from the factory?

and focus cars are europen junk. all the crap is like a euro car . bilbs parts and stuff. heek today i tryed to take off the rear drums and the morons went back to remove the hub/drum /wheel bearing setup??? cant just pull the drum like all others.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

DO NOT REMOVE THE WHEELBEARING NUT!

there are 4 bolts on the back side of the backing plate like a Ford 9". Unbolt those, the spindle and wheel bearing will come off with the drum. Yes it is retarded. This past Saturday I had a car come in with a wheelbearing that was DESTROYED, because whoever did the brakes last undid the nut and blah blah blah. Needed a drum(which comes with the center hub), wheel bearing, and a spindle to fix the damn thing(none of which is cheap.

I smack my own forehead daily trying to figure out what Ford engineers are thinking. I have decided, they just don't.

12. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I own a 1 ton dually diesel ford box van as one of my work trucks and every time I lift the hood to fix something I get the same feeling as you describe........they are all retarded, as am I for buying the damn thing:doah:

13. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

F-O-R-D... a 4 letter word?!!...a blog of yersterdays woes!

Here's another "Ford" dilema...my friend gets this late model
    Mercury in his shop yesterday..302 V8,and its PLASTIC intake manifold is cracked,and engine runs like crap...tells owner a new manifold is about 300 bucks from Ford--and he said Ford has been replacing them under a "silent recall"--(thats when the maufacturer is so embarrased about their product,they fix it under warranty ,but only if you dont tell anyone what a POS it is!--otherwise,Ford would be out of bussiness from all the recalls!)..

The owner said he brought it to the dealer,and they basically told him to pound sand--car is too old and too high mileage to be considered for the silent recall..they tell him this AFTER installing 1 of the 3 catalitic converters ,cost 500 bucks!--which didn't fix the cars woes,and is already rattling 3 weeks later,like all the guts came loose inside it!..my friend got the job of replacing the other 2 converters --WHY do Fords need several converters,when other cars only need one??..and you'd think they would pass emission tests easy,with all the cats--but no,they fail more often than any other brand!..

Anyway,my friend gets a used ALUMINUM intake from a boneyard for 30 bucks--it bolts right on,everything is dandy--until I notice the temp gauge is now BURIED all the way to "HOT",as soon as the key is turned on!--(gauge worked normally before the intake swap)--we unplug the sending unit,gauge reads "Cold",as it should..

.hmmm--maybe the sending unit(the original from the plastic intake) was defective?..he orders a new one from a parts store,he puts it in..same dam thing!..he removes it from the intake,and tries heating it up with a Bic lighter--the gauge responds normally!--all we could figure was the metal intake now grounded the sending unit,and it needs to be "insulated" somehow for it to work right...:rolleyes: ..here we GO!..

Friend calls the company that makes the Aluminum "replacement" manifold he scored at the junkyard..no one at the company ever heard of this problem before..he asks if any plastic bushing comes with the intake to insulate the sendint unit.."no",was the answer--a call to the Ford dealers parts clerk gave the same answer--"never heard of that before"...:doah:

Friend tries using a short peice of heater hose and a 3/8" pipe nipple to "insulate" the sender from the intake..now the gauge stays on "cold",unless you rev the motor,and it goes up a bit,then right back to cold!--the coolant isn't touching the sender enough to get a reading now..:mad: --its getting close to 5 o'clock,and his patience is waning fast!..we try removing one of the two wires to the sending unit,and screw it back into the intake..removing one wire did nothing,same results,needle pegged!--removed the other wire and put the other one back on,now the gauge refuses to move at all...

Well,at 8:30 PM,the car was picked up by the owner--with a new "Sunpro" water temp gauge installed on the instument panel,below the original one..we had to give up,and buy the guy a new gauge that WORKED!!--and told him why we did it,and he said as long as it works ,he doesn't care if its stock or not--the aftermarket gauge is probably more accurate than the Ford one ever was.....12 hours to swap an intake!!--actually,two to swap it,
    Eight to fgure out why the temp gauge wouldn't work(and we never DID figure it out)--and two more to install the aftermarket gauge..SIGH..I love auto repair....:(

It used to be if a truck came in with 7 lugs,it meant one of them got broken off!...now,thanks to Ford,its a "better idea"!...

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

....and I bet you find a "Welcome Home" mat every time.

Hey, I bet you also didn't know this little fact. Did you know that approximately 98% of all Fords sold are still on the road today?

Yeah! The other 2% actually made it home....

16. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

96 and 97 F150 "7700"s and light duty f-250s (had same body as f-150) had this bolt pattern. Only one or two manufacturers ever made aftermarket wheels for them and only one or two styles of rims.

From Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia.

Ford took the aero styling to its conclusion for 1997 with an extremely round nose on the new F-series. The "Super Duty" F series did not yet exist, so an F-250 was offered which was an F-150 with heavier duty axles and suspension, along with odd 7 lug wheels. With the arrival of the Super Duty, this F-250 "light duty" was offered as the "7700" package for the F-150 (noted on the tailgate emblem). A wide variety of body options were available: regular cab and SuperCab, standard or flareside boxes, and short and long beds. A new Lightning was introduced in 1999, and Harley-Davidson and King Ranch versions were also created. In 2001 the SuperCrew cab was introduced

17. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thank you sir. i will be sure to put that in to my memery banks.:eek1:

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

IIRC, no "American" automaker makes their own sunroofs - they're all aftermarket. Same thing with convertible top mechanisms... again, IIRC.

There's a place in New Jersey, on Rt.130, a little south of Cinnaminson, that does a LOT of sunroof/convertible work for the OEM's. I think it's called ASC, but I'm not real sure on that. My parents have had to take 2 vehicles there over the years... both Ford products, now that I think about it. One for sunroof issues in '89 or '90, and one for convertible issues in '01 or '02.