Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

7 seconds I'll regret. I ruined my motor due to my stupidity.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 24, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

7 seconds I\'ll regret. I ruined my motor due to my stupidity.

I'm driving down the freeway at 70 mph in the plow truck, hurrying to go home, then tow a friend's uncle's broke down S-10.

The radio is turned up, and Im cruisin'. Then I notice I'm starting to slow down speed-wise. Not being able to hear the motor, about 7 seconds later, I finally let off the gas and notice I'm free-wheeling.

I'm thinking, "there went my tranny" or something. I rev the motor up once again to see if a gear catches, but all I hear is a rattle. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I coast to a stop. I go to put it in park and it grinds. I notice no smell of tranny fluid or anything related to that. But I notice my right bank exhaust manifold glowing bright orange. (it had done this once before with the old single exhaust/catylitic convertor- which I had since removed).

I start it again after it cools. Then I look over and move the T-case lever around. The thing had kicked into nuetral from 2-hi. Tranny goes into gear just fine. I drive it off the freeway and notice the rattling/knocking coming from my motor.

I over-reved it for 7 seconds (estimated) and now I have to pay for it. All cause my T-case mysteriousely shifted into nuetral by itself on the freeway and I didnt pay close enough attention to the fact I was in nuetral. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: 7 seconds I\'ll regret. I ruined my motor due to my stupidity.

bummer dude. hope ya get it fixed soon.
    Grant

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You wouldn't happen to have a body lift would you?

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

doh. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    makes me think about the rev limiter's by jacobs or something. Sure could be cheap insurance.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

damn stereo anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    doh. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    makes me think about the rev limiter's by jacobs or something. Sure could be cheap insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one and only reason I have an MSD in my rig now.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Man, that blows. rev limit next??
    I can't tell you how many times one has saved my engines!! But i don't use one on my daily driver, but then, It don't even have a radio!

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ouch, that sucks. But then again, it gives you the opportunity to build up your engine and gain some serious power.
    -Harrison

9. mountainexplorer

Well, I "shouldn't" need a rev limiter on a snow plow truck. It was just stupid of me to be all carried away with other thoughts and music turned up (one of me few rigs that has a radio) and that I'd do that.

My 1st initial thought was I had drifted over onto that bumpy strip that tells you when your too far to the side of your lane, and it was creating drag, then I thought the tranny was slipping, and by the time I let off the gas, It had to have been between 5-7 seconds from when it popped out of gear into nuetral. Why would a 205 suddenly pop into nuetral?

Anyway, I don't need anything high performance for the Plow Truck. I even thought about putting a good 350 in it. Or, my friend has a brand new 454 in a '72 Blazer I could buy, keep the 454, put a 350 back in and re-sell. But right now, I'm waiting to go look at a '77 Chevy 1-ton SRW flatbed 4x4 with a 454 and a winch for $1200... if the guy looking at it right now doesnt buy it. I could stick the plow on it for now.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Did you blow it up? It won't run at all?

When I over-revved mine it put two rods through the oil pan.

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ive heard of 205s popping out of gear from a guy here in town.. yours is the only other time ive heard of it though.. how far did you overrev it?

12. mountainexplorer

It's still running. Its just to the point where its beginning to develop a knock. I was able to drive it home. I just took it easy on it.

The motor has 114,000 on it, never smoked, and has always run good. Just always got horrible mileage even though it was fuel injected. Right now, it's very slavagable. Probably just 1 or two rod bearings are down to copper, and I could probably get away with having the crank just polished or turned 10/10 if needed. I'll probably put a carb back on it rather than the TBI.

I went and put $100 down on another truck. It was "supposed" to be a 1-ton, but it was only a 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy. But it has a good 454 and TH400 and a sidewinder winch and a 9' flatbed. I have to come up with $1100 more by Monday to pay it off, then I might just put the plow on it and take my time on the 454 rebuild to do it right.

Nothing else runs/drives in the whole fleet right now except for the Suburban and '84 K5... neither of which I could put the plow on easily.

As far as how high it reved... Imagine a truck with a plow barreling down the freeway at 70 mph with a driver in a hurry to get somewhere, with 4.10 gears, and 235/85 R16 tires. Then imagine shifting it into nuetral without letting off the gas for about 7 seconds. All I can guess is I was turning some pretty high RPMs.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well congrats on the new score anyway..pics!!

14. mountainexplorer

Does anyone know... shouldn't the knock sensor shut the motor down?

I had to go plow a church parking lot tonight, so I threw some Lucas engine treatment in it and plowed the lot. I knew that the knock would get worse, and it did. It's noticibly louder now.

15. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Knock sensor would only retard timing.

16. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Where was your tach through all this? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone know... shouldn't the knock sensor shut the motor down?

I had to go plow a church parking lot tonight, so I threw some Lucas engine treatment in it and plowed the lot. I knew that the knock would get worse, and it did. It's noticibly louder now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pull the pan down and get some bearings in that thing before it spins and you lose a good block.

18. mountainexplorer

No tach in the plow truck.

Now I have big plans... transplant plow to other truck for now, park it in the garage, pull front clip, motor and tranny, rebuild motor keeping it close to stock. Reinforce the frame around the steering box and that big crack on the "other" side too, find another Dana 60 and make it a true 1-ton again, replace rear brakes (so it has them), re-install new motor and rebuilt tranny too, re-mount plow setup, front clip, actually hook up plow lights so they work, fix rear tail lights/brake lights, and be ready to plow next year.

19. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

What he said.

20. mountainexplorer

I thought about doing that while it's in the truck, but I dont have the patience to work on things in tight spaces. Its got 114,00 on it, so I'm going to pull it out and just go through it all so that it'll be ready for many more seasons to come. Plus, the tranny takes forever to engage when it's cold, so I want to go through that also.