Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70-81 Camaro Tach in '76 K5.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by plowboy77, Apr 2, 2006.

1. plowboy77

plowboy77 Registered Member

Hi all,
    I've done quite a bit of searching on this subject so I know it can be done. From what I have learned, it is a bit of a PITA. I was just wondering if anyone has documented the process of making it fit the dash in the location of the stock fuel guage. I've seen pictures of final installation by members like :bow: dyeager535 but was wondering if there were "instructions" or at least a list of the pains endured to make it work.
    Oh yeah, and how to modify the camaro fuel guage to fit in the dash too! :D

If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it !:thumb:
    Russ

2. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

you mean 75-80

75-up was HEI, cars and trucks both

its not that difficult to do this, they are the same size and jut needs a little triumming and creativity as far as mounting the tach in the cluster housing goes

not difficult if you sit down with it and do it some time when notihng els eis going on and no one is bothering you

this and a small fuel guage out of a van in the corner of the cluster would be the way to do it

or however else you think,

theres endless possibilities depending on which guages you get form which vehicles

good luck

3. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

The 70 camaro tack works with HEI. I have an HEI in my 70 Camaro.

4. plowboy77

plowboy77 Registered Member

Camaro tach

I actually got the whole dash cluster out of a camaro (Ebay) including the fuel guage. I haven't recieved it yet but it was advertised as a 70-81. As long as it works with the 90-91 camaro external coil HEI I have I'm cool!

Sounds like it just takes some garden variety custom fabrication. Are there wires or anything that I'll need to solder or unsolder? :confused: I've also read in here that some printed circuits on the back of the K5 dash cluster may have to be modified?

Russ

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To add the wiring for the fuel gauge you'll need to either solder to the right PCB copper runs, or run wiring from the instrument panel connector to the gauge posts. Heck, with some tracing, you might be able to just re-pin the IP connector to feed the new fuel gauge location, but I don't believe they use the same gauge to PCB connector. If they do, that would be the cleanest way to do it.

The tach uses 3 separate wires: ground, 12V ignition, and coil. All 3 I'd keep as separate. There is a common ground bolted to the left "kickpanel" area (above the plastic piece aways) and use the fuse panel accessory feeds to power it with ignition only 12V.. Hopefully your tach comes with the tach plug, but they are fairly common in wrecking yards. With some creativity I'm sure you could come up with a connection alternative though.

The stock truck fuel gauge "guts" were removed, and the camaro tach likewise taken apart. (practice taking the needle off on something else first!!) You'll need to cut the Camaro tach for the indicator lights of the truck (4wd and brake?) and adhere it to the "blank" truck fuel gauge plate. That way it will bolt straight in. Then just reassemble. My dad did the handywork on mine while I was away, but looks like he riveted the tach "guts" to the fuel gauge plate, just as GM did with the stock fuel gauge.

I can't recall exactly, but I believe the Camaro fuel gauge will bolt directly in where the clock position is. if it doesn't, same thing as the stock truck fuel gauge, remove guts, take apart Camaro fuel gauge, etc.