Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70 bazer 4-sale how much should i pay need quick response

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENNY, Apr 11, 2002.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

went to see a 70 blazer today. has a shot 307 2bl carb,12bolt rear ,10 bolt front with drums all around. 3spd manual,no power steering. good points is that it has no rust to speak off, new rear floor. needs new hard top, has original soft cover. this is in connecticut. will post pics if someone can tell me how. what should i offer he wants 3500 but is neg. I would be looking to restore it. new 350, 4spd (maybe out of my blazer) a/c, aaxles . i could go on and on need a quick response

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Its not a d44 front? you sure? is the body straight? stock suspension? i think hes highballin a little but then again both the blazers ive bought (1 with 4 inch lift and 35's and one with 8 inch lift and 38"s) i bought for 1500 and 2700.. Talk him down to 2700, look real hard at the rig and find some problems, Try to see if the frame is cracked at the steering box, ( i dunno if this year truck did that very often) but i think that would be a good way to convince him to drop the price,... just my .02......hope you got this in time

3. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Remember that up here in the N. East any truck that has lasted this long is special. AND more importantly any owner of an old truck up here in the N. East believes in his heart that his truck is worth big bucks just because its located here and its older han any other trucks he's seen that day. Tell him you can find one cheaper on E-bay, its a small world and if you can pay the shipping you can find one from Az. with no rot that still runs. That 307 will make a mighty fine boat anchor though.

4. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

noticed that the steering gearis lower than that of the 84 i have, will check frame again tomorrow though. looks like he salvaged the truck and did some work then parked it at a friend's lot. been there how long? worth it to me at the right price.

5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Registered Member Premium Member

Sounds like a good Blazer. Tell him you'll give him
    $2600 Where in CT is it? I would think everything
    in CT would have rust everywhere. Check the back
    side of the rocker panels just to make sure.
    Good luck.

The Rooster

6. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

checked, there is a small rail that would eventually be replacedthat runs where the rocker panel is. this is where the 84 rusted, not too rust but seems thin. but other than that it seemed ok. like i said though needs new drivetrain front to rear. one more question though, 12 bolt rear 10 bolt front what givesll

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's got a D44 front not a 10 bolt. 10 bolts NEVER had drum brakes. That's a saginaw tranny more than likely. It's not got a granny 1st. It also will probably have a D20 transfercase.
    The truck is a stripper. It has almost no options.
    Bottom line is unless your wanting a street truck restoration or you got all the parts including a transfercase (D20 was different adaptor and not many connected to 465's if any so finding an adaptor would be tought) you might want to keep looking. Drum brakes just plain suck and really suck bad when full of mud. No granny gear, odd transfer case and a worn out engine. It got just about everything wrong for off roading.
    The rust free body has it's merrits but I think it's a little high for the other things. I would say that $2k is more inline since the enging is toast unless that body is near perfect with good paint and your wanting to do an original restoration.
    Look at it this way. OU812 just picked up a rust free 74 with 4 speed, decent paint and only 125k on the truck for $800. Only thing wrong with it was missmatched wheels and tires. Granted it was not as desirable body style but mechanicaly it was near perfect.

8. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I have 2 of these (71 Jimmy, 72 K5) - great little toys. Check to see the rocker boxes are intact, you can pull off the inspection plate in the rear wheel well, and with a flashlight look down the rocker box (toward the front) to see the condition of the cab mounts and more. Pull up the floormats if it has them - look at the floors, kick panels. Rusty rockers may mean that the lower portions of the front and rear door supports are rusted as well (patch panels available). A price in the 2500-3000 dollar range might be OK for a sound frame and good rust free body, but "trust then verify" as my favorite president (until now) said. You are going to spend some dough mechanically, but it is all available and pretty straightforward.

Mine both have factory supports riveted to the frame rail (inside) supporting the steering box.

Good luck
    JB

9. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

THIS LATCH IS WHERE ON THE TRUCK. I AM GOING BACK TOMORROW AND NEED EVERY THING ICAN TO LOWER THE PRICE IF I AM GOING TO GET THIS THING

10. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

you may already have asked the guy, but why was the rear floor replaced? probably because it was rusted out. May indicate some of the other underbody and floor boards being rusted too?? I think the price is too steep too, maybe closer to 2500, unless the body is incredible

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I also think the price is alittle much. I bought my '76 just as it is in the pics below, minus the lift and tires, for $2000.

12. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

13. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

what do you guys think? good bad ugly?, was originally champage gold, just like my nova used to be

14. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

I paid $800 for my 77 Jimmy from a retired guy up the street right before Christmas. It has a 350/350/NP203 and 31 inch tires. It had 95,000 miles. It has a small rot hole in the right rocker panel. Push bar, visor and roof rack. Right after I bought it I replaced the battery, starter and alternator and heater core just to be secure that they were decent. Good deals are out there to be sure. Good luck in your search.

15. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I say the price is way HIGH /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    Your in for alot of work, basically all your buying is a frame and body. And judging from the rust on the leafs I would say that body had alot of rust, that has been repaired (One way or another/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif) The motor is JUNK, the tranny is JUNK, the transfer case is JUNK, the front axle is OK for strength, but the drums are JUNK, The rear is alright but a 12 bolt is about the same as a 10 bolt so it is not a big asset. If it were Me I would pass. They are COOL Blazers though, I would just keep looking if I were you, I bet you will find a nice one at a good price faster than you would get this one into any kind of good shape.
    DISCLAIMER If you already bought it, than it is a very nice rig I am sure you will have alot of fun fixing it up /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

i know alot of work. love that style though.