Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70 blazer D60 & 14bolt swap - need ideas for brake system, gracias

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jello, Feb 10, 2003.

1. jello

jello Registered Member

Howdy, I posted this in a couple of other places, wanted to ask you guys too... I'm needing information on a braking setup. I plan to change out my 1/2 ton gear for 1 ton stuff. Thanks for any help in advance, its appreciated. Here's the question(s):

What are others doing to support the larger braking systems when they convert?

This is my situation. I got a good deal on a complete running 1984 1 ton chevy truck (D60 disc, 14bolt drum). I'm planning the axle converstion. I'm unsure about how to proceed with the brake system. The donor truck has hydralic assist or 'hydro boost' brake setup. It looks stout and has been factory 'engineered' to work with the 1 ton brake parts in the wheels. I think I'd like to use this hydro gear but not sure exactly what I'd be getting into - Not sure how difficult or complicated the conversiton would be. The blazer (70) has a power boost drum system so it seems unlikely mounting holes for it and the pedal assemblies would mate up with minor reworking, etc.

On top of this, I'm also looking at swapping out the auto for the 4 speed tranny. This work would require (I think) that the pedal assembly out of the 84 truck (hydralic clutch (?) be reworked somehow into the 70 balzer. Is this a seperate stand alone project or does it relate or facilitate the possiblity of re-using the hydro brakes in the older blazer?

The blazer's motor is a 350 the tranny a TH350/NP205. The donor's a 6.2 liter, it has 4 speed SM465/NP205.

Again, thanks for any info you can supply.

Jeff

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Swap the tranny first. You can always modifie/fabracate what you need for the breaks as you go along. Get the tranny in first so you don't have to relocate components after you've already mounted them.

3. jello

jello Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Paul.

4. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what the exact differences are between the 1 ton and the half ton master cylinders, but it's probably a good idea to keep all the one ton parts together. I think most guys that do a 3/4 ton swap (14ff rear with slightly smaller drums, D44 front same size caliper pistons) usually keep their half ton master cylinder (they looked identical on mine), but I believe the 1 ton is a higher volume system.

5. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Jeff
    Hydroboosting is pretty simple and worth the effort. You need the PS pump off the donor truck, as well. I put hydroboost on my 91 V1500 Sub with stock axles and what a difference in feel! Read this...
    http://server3003.freeyellow.com/rpierce/BrakePaper.htm
    I haven't checked, but I will bet the hydroboost with bracket will bolt right up to a Gen 1 firewall. Bleeding is easy, but do it right.
    Good luck
    JB

6. jello

jello Registered Member

Yep I would think keeping like parts together - ones 'engineered' as compatible would make the most sense. Thanks

7. jello

jello Registered Member

JB, I think your right on with this info . Appreciate the link. Before I read that I was leaning toward installing the axles and then just switching out the hoses (and MC) - basicaly just testing it out with the 1/2 ton booster and brake system. But now I want to go the route with the hydro system. I'll make sure I get all the parts I need off the 84 for sure.

Thanks.

Jeff

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

When switching your 91 to hydroboost, I'm assuming you loose the ABS brakes right? My 91 V2500 obviously has them and I dont like them. They dont seem to work the way they should and I prefer a simpler aproach. I want to swap to hydroboost anyway as I have all the parts to do it already. Losing the ABS would just be an additional bennefit to the hydroboost system. Thx