Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70 body on a 77 frame??quest for a friend-pick-up truck ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Dec 13, 2003.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

we went to cut down christmas tree's today,and i told my friend duanean about CK5,he has a 93 dually with a 6 in lift and 35in TSL's.chevy truck of coarse.well he and his son have a truck they are building and they need to know ? will it fit ? it is a 4x4 and 1/2 ton(the 77 frame that is). thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

whats 93 have to do with?

70 what ?

in 73 wheelbases across the board were increased so anything 72 older is shorter than anythign 73-up

3. boggerless

just tellin what he drives. i said pick-up.and of coarse it,s a chevy question.thanks for the answer bro /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It could be done but your going to spend a hell of a lot of time reinventing the wheel. There is several frames for 67-72 trucks here. The rest of the drivetrain they have should work on the older frame. Only thing I don't know about is the actual spring packs may not be the right length.
    I know there is a Burb 4x4 chassis over there. Could make a crew cab with a flat bed on it. I think there is a 4x4 blazer frame as well. I know there are atleast 2 2wd short bed frames there.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Short answer, the '70 pickup cab will not fit a '77 pickup frame. The problem is the rise in the '77 pickup frame under the cab where the '70 frame is flat until it goes behind the cab then rises.

It would fit a '73-91 Suburban frame easier though. The Suburban frames are flat until they get past the back seats and rise in front of the rear axle.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yerah you wil have to make frame changesd because 73-up rear cab nmounts bolt inwards of frame rails and 72-older mount on outside of frame rails and also you cant get to threads for the rear bolts like you can in the 72-older

then you will have to deal with wheelbase differences too, after cutting alot of rivets in order to swap all body mount brackets except that 72-older beds mounted to frame with brackets and 73-up didnt

7. boggerless

thanks guys, i told duaine you guys know your s**t.he'll join once he check's CK5 out. he has the 77 frame and has the70 body lined up.i said i'd ask if it would fit.i grew up with him but didn't see him for about 15 years.by the by all metro detroit members, he opened a muffler shop,bender and all, anyway he asked me to ask. i told him to get on himself and he'll love it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifthis is the best,thanks again, daryl /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

This is what I am doing to put '85 K20 running gear under a '66 GMC 3/4 ton 2wd. The 63-72 frames are all basically the same then they changed in '73. Most of what I am doing was covered by a Peterson's 4wheel and offroad magazine article last year too.