Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70 C20 gmc Disc swap???

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ben427, Mar 7, 2004.

1. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Searched and didnt find anything. I just got ahold of a 70 GMC 3/4 ton 2WD with a 402 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif and a 465 tranny. The darn thing is drums all around. I have a couple old 85 C20s juked and was wondering if i couuld use the knuckles, spindles, rotors, and caliper without much work. In other words wil the newer knuckle bolt up the the older suspension ok???

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes 63-87 5 through 30 series will swap, use the centerlink bar and such from donor truck and get new balljoints for donor truck year and model, you will have to re route brake lines just like you would have to on a 5 or 10 series too when swapping 73-up onto a 72 older

personally i would swap the entire engine cradle suspension assembly over

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Thanks!thats what i thought. I would do that but the only good thing on the whole parts truck is the knucles and spindles, the rest is hashed big time.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

even the entire cradle is damaged unuseable ?

preferably you would want to swap entire cradle assembly to save yourself alot of disassembly and balljoints swapping and aligment problems and so forth, then all you would have to do is drill a coupe holes and re route the hoses and hook everything up and done

to convert an 8 lug truck to disc front you need 20 or 30 series spindles rotors calipers TRE's centerlink and lines hoses and thats about it, 20 and 30 series all same cqlipers and such unless different thicnkess rotors in which some did have thicker on higher GVW, but not that common, not as common as in 10 series trucks from 1" to 1.25" rotors

good luck

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

There not really damaged, just rotted to hell. Hence the unusable.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oh, gotcha, know all about that hehe

happy conversion/swap, you can email me or find me on yahoo messenger fastr68 is me on there i will answer any questions regarding this, and i have a NAPA chassis parts catalog that i can get you numbers of parts and compare to see what you really need to swap for sure from the 70-older to the 71-up setup as far as TRE's idler arm and pitman arm and ball joints and such go

R