Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70 drum to disc....HELP

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by vegaries, May 19, 2003.

1. vegaries

vegaries Newbie

hey there,
    new to this board, and just wondering if anyone in here has swapped out their stock drum d44 to a disc 44 on a 70 and switched the brake lines. i guess my biggest question being if i order new front brake lines, is there any extra hardware i will need to buy since my original stuff does not match up? i already bought a new m.c., booster, proportioning valve and lines from the master.. am getting really frustrated, nothing seems to match up at all on a job i thought would take a couple of days and has now stretched to weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif thanks for your help. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Is this a half ton or 3/4 ton truck? Did you get a new front axle w/ disc or are you swapping backing plates and hubs? If it's 3/4 ton what are you going to do with the front drums? Our year trucks came with power brakes, did you get parts for a 71? Is it mainly the lines that are not matching up. Look at the pics in my link the PO had converted my truck to power from manual and I believe he used a MC for disc/drum but keep the stock bias valve (no proportional valve for drums I believe). I'd say the brake hoses should be the easiest part; banjo fitting one end and pressure fitting at the other.Goto www.67-72chevytrucks.com this has been discussed many times.

3. vegaries

vegaries Newbie

i really appreciate the response. it is a half ton, i just switched complete axles, and yeah, the lines are not matching up at all. my biggest problem is where the brake line splits in the front, the bolt that connects the ??? to the brake hose does not fit in the later model year brake hose and i do not know where to get either a bolt or piece (im not sure what its called)that the bolt goes through to connect to the brake hose. if that makes any sense. i guess i just need to know if that piece or bolt is orderable from somewhere. thanks again.

4. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

If I understand you correctly your looking for the fitting that passes through the frame and connects the hard line to the hose?

5. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I went threw that on my 68 when converting, so I dropped by the junkyard and grabbed the fittings and nut that passes threw the frame off a 78 chev with disc brakes. Worked for me.

6. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I also needed a brake pushrod that goes from the pedal to the master cylinder. They are longer If I remember right for the disc set-up.

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

they re extendable to pa point. junkyard let me have mine b/c i pulled it myself.

btw welcome to ck5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    nathan