Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70 dum brakes---drum brakes that is

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BUCK70, Jan 27, 2002.

1. BUCK70

BUCK70 Registered Member

Have a 70 K5 and was wonderin' if anyone knows a good inexpensive way to convert front drums over to disk. I know there has to be kits, but does any later model trucks or k-5 directly bolt or easy mods? If anyone has done it or can give me some know how I would be most appreciative.

thanks

Buck

2. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I also have a '70 K5 and need disk brakes to slow me down when im pulling my race car. I thought i heard somewhere on this board that u could buy all 71-72 brake parts and they would bolt up but im not sure if thats true.

Evan

1970 Blazer, <font color=orange>ORANGE</font color=orange>, 3-speed manual, 33's <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/aksidentproan>Love Shack Pictures</a>

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I am about to do this mod to mine. I purchased an axle with fairly new gears and all the disk parts attached and will roll the old one out and new one in. I have to purchase new or rebuilt calipers, brake lines, brake pads, and a new booster mastercylinder. I think it will end up costing me around $400.00 or so. but for good brakes its worth it.

4. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

you can use pretty much everything off a 71+ truck from spindles out along with a 71-72 master cylinder and prop valve.... or just get a complete axle from a 71+ truck with a dana 44 and bolt it in..... that should be easier

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465, rockwell tcase, dana44, 14 FF, <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/68K10>http://communities.msn.com/68K10</a>

5. StevenB

StevenB Registered Member

I used a 71 complete axel in my swap. It is the easiest. Don't forget to get 71-72 Master Cyl,Prop valve for it to work.

6. BUCK70

BUCK70 Registered Member

When you say 71+ does that mean any year until present or only first generations?? I realize the master cyl. has to be 71-71, but how about the rest? Can I take spindles out from an 86 and them fit my 70?

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Any '71-'78 with the Dana 44 front axle will work. They have the same steering arm, spring pad, and shock locations. I think they changed out the front axle to the 10-bolt in '78 or '79, but I'm not sure. Make sure that you're getting a Dana 44 (unless you want the 10-bolt Corporate front axle).

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Any '71-'78 with the Dana 44 front axle will work. They have the same steering arm, spring pad, and shock locations. I think they changed out the front axle to the 10-bolt in '78 or '79, but I'm not sure. Make sure that you're getting a Dana 44 (unless you want the 10-bolt Corporate front axle).

9. aksidentproan

I finally found another first gen K5!!!!! I took the scenic route to a friends house and went by the junk yard and there it was.....a green 71 or 72 K5 that looks immaculate for not being restored....ZERO RUST. anyway it was sitting in front of the owners house so i figure hes going to restore it but then i drive by a week later and i see it sitting in the back of the junkyard. I want to go to disk brakes in front. I need the front axle, calipers, master cylinder, brake booster and proportioning valve. Where is the prop. valve? And will i need the brake lines off of it or will the drum ones work on the calipers? Anything elses i left out. a little help please.

Evan

1970 Blazer, <font color=orange>ORANGE</font color=orange>, 3-speed manual, 33's <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/aksidentproan>Love Shack Pictures</a>

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You don't need the hole front axle. Just everything from the nuckles (I think the drum nuckles have the bolt pattern rotated some but might still worrk). Yes you do need the rubber brake lines. The prop valve is just to the outboard side of the master cylinder. It has 2 brake lines going in, 2 going out, and a wire going to it. While you are taking it down that far you might want to look into replacing the axle shafts with some 73- shafts because they run a larger u-joint (you should also put in some new Spicer u-joints too).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

11. aksidentproan

i was gonna just take the whole axle because its easier to replace the axle especially sinse i have mine dissconnected at the moment. Now..about the proportining valve...is it on the fire wall or attached to the booster or master cylinder or where? thanks for the help.

Evan

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It is on a bracket that attaches to the booster right next to the master cylinder...you can't miss it. You will have to un-bolt it to get all the parts you want.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>