Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70 K5 gas tank

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big red convert, Nov 16, 2005.

1. big red convert

big red convert Registered Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Hi this is my first post, I have seen a gas tank on line that was custom made for 40 gallons, and I asked if it came with a sending unit and he sead no, it don't need one because it hooks in with the rest of the fuel lines.
    how does this work?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    Welcome to CK5 :D

I replaced my 72 gas tank twice
    First time I bought a Polyethelane tank that is an exact replica of the 21gal stocker..just poly.
    Well after a couple years I figured 21gal just wasn't cuttin it and I needed MORE fuel.
    I picked up a www.nwmp.com 37gal steel tank. It came with all the mounting hardware and a sending unit. It even has the air vent tubes and baffels inside the tank. It wasn't cheep..like 400 or so. I like having the extra fuel.

I would guess if you don't have a sending unit then you won't have a gas gage.

Hope this helps
  3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Jul 22, 2001
    Thats the exact replica of the one I got for the trail project , they will fit 2nd gens too , on top of the frame :D
  4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mar 5, 2001
    If there's a provision to mount a sending unit (round hole about 2" across) on the top of the tank, then you can probably use a stock sending unit and be all set.

The only catch is if the new tank is substantially deeper than the original. The float on the sender should be able to move all the way to the top and bottom of the tank to give you an accurate reading. If the sender "bottoms out" a few inches about the bottom of the tank, your gauge will read "Empty" even though you have a few gallons left....probably not a bad situation to be in (kinda like having a reserve built in) but you also won't really trust the gauge either.

You could probably extend the wire that the float connects to so that it worked with the new tank, even if the new tank is deeper.

Any of that make sense? :dunno: