Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70 K5 gas tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big red convert, Dec 15, 2005.

1. big red convert

big red convert Registered Member

Hi my gas tank is leaking like a sieve, and was wondering if anyone was getting rid of a polly gas tank, or know ware I should go through to get one?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Browns of Two Rivers has Poly Tanks... they list an all Steel one, but when I called they said they couldn't get it anymore. I have the very same problem when my tank is over half full. I'm about to break down and buy the poly tank, even though it will ruin the originallity even more...

By the way... Search them on Google... they'll come up from across the country I think. They are based in Two Rivers Wisconsin

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Check out Gas tank Renu. They take your tank, weld up any huge holes, dunk in in expoxy. They are good for life. Never rust, still steel. And usally only around $100.

4. big red convert

thanks for the advice, I will look into it because I cant stand gasing up a little each day.

Thanks,
    Adam

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

alternative..??

I had a 72 K5 with a leaky gas tank too...I lucked out and found one in another mint truck just like mine a guy had ,he got drunk on easter sunday and T-boned a fire hydrant,and totalled the truck..I bought the gas tank,complete 4 spd setup to replace my TH350 setup,brake booster,etc..guy had just replaced the tank about a year earlier,with a genuine GM one he searched dealerships for across the country..one in Kansas had one!..

But while I was searching for a tank (and this was in 1984 or so!)--they were not readily available even then!--GM stopped making them after 10 years,and for some reason aftermarket companies focused only on 73-87 K5 tanks..J.C Whitney had both steel and poly ones listed in their catalog at the time..IF you had 300-400 bucks to buy one.(It might be they still list them maybe???).---so I started looking in boneyards for a stock one,or anything close that might fit..

I found chevy "G" series Vans had a very similar tank,in dimentions, and the gas filler came out in the same area..and Dodge Vans,and Ramchargers in the late 80's had poly tanks,and the Ramcharger one looked like it would fit in with modifications...but the sender unit from a Dodge won't jive with a Chevy gauge..(I had a Dodge poly 40 gallon tank in my 74 GMC--it made my gas read read backwards !--empty when full,and full when empty!--but it was accurate!:eek1: )...so maybe if you cant find or afford the bolt in tank,one of those might get you by...:crazy:

6. big red convert

good advice, I never thought of looking on other make vehicles before, thanks.