Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70 K5 value and rarity

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3 on the tree, Oct 17, 2004.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Just picked up a 70 K5 6 cylinder 3 speed, 72k miles has hardtop, interior trashed, exterior 90% primo. Is it too valuable as OE to modify or can I get creative without losing its value? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

wheel it!

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

oh it just sounds like a gem

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Preserve it. Simple mods are cool, but this year is still a lower production year so go easy on it and enjoy as its value climbs. If you want something to mod, find a 72 and go at it. There are a ton of them still around. Thats my advice.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I say don't. The 1st gen trucks are appreciating in value heavily, and I don't think that trend will stop any time soon.

The money you dump into a vehicle (whether restoration or modifying it) is almost never recouped when sold, however, modifying a vehicle almost always destroys collector value, and thats where the real money is in a vehicle like that.

My opinion anyways. I say stick with the "common" 2nd gens to modify.

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just picked up a 70 K5 6 cylinder 3 speed, 72k miles has hardtop, interior trashed, exterior 90% primo. Is it too valuable as OE to modify or can I get creative without losing its value? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Either way it sounds like your going to dump more money into it. I say build it how you want it and keep the resale issue out of the picture. Truth be known, beauty is n the eye of the beholder. So that said, wheel the piss out of it and congrats. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh and welcome to the CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

also, as much as it might pain you, keep the 6'r in it. Or at least pull and save it in covered storage until the time when you need it back. I see 1st gens all the time that have been brutally overdone. I would never consider major stuff to my 69, including major lifting of any sort. I do plan on lifting a couple of inches, but all the original stuff will ba saved.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If its not rusty--it would bring very good money here in the northeast--the few 69-72 K5's I've seen at car and truck shows and swap meets here are bondo buckets and weld on patch panel re-hashed(and usually thrashed!)junkyard refugees 98% of the time,doctored up with a quick paint job and big tires and rims often sell for over 5 grand--some I saw at one place they were just plain rotted,but unmolested(meaning no one did any body or floor work yet--one had a sign on it said:"original rust"!)that was offered at 3,500 bucks--a lot more than I would have paid,having bought similar K5's for 500 or less in years past--but the bitter truth is there just arent any left around here that are any good bodywise,the few that are will bring a hefty sum when its time to sell.I'd leave yours stock,perhaps put a V8 in it,and a SM465 and 205 transfer case someday(theese upgrades will add some value,but will break a collectors heart--the sixes with the 3 speed and dana 20 cases were probably the rarest drivetrain they had--very few I've seen here in new england. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif If its in good shape metalwise,I'd pick on another K5 for off road beating--it would be a shame to see a(nother!) nice first generation K5
    get wasted!. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. 3 on the tree

I forgot to mention it came with the owners manual in the glovebox and it still has the shift instruction sticker on the glovebox. Also, the trim ring that holds the shift boot down has the shift diagram on it. I have never seen one of these before, was this standard. Also has the equipment sticker still on the inside glovebox lid. Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'll save the original engine, 292 it with 4bbl carb, header and an HEI distributor from a later 250. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a gem to me! It is a base model truck but it only having 72K along with the original stickers, etc is a rarety and sounds like you scored(in a truck kind of way). /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I would restore that truck!!!!!!!!!! They are getting less and less common and I bet you could get every penny you put into it restoring it back out of it if you decided to sell it after a complete restoration. Just look at what some rare muscle cars go for restored! I don't neccessarely mean bring it back to original numbers matching shape but keep the I6 if you swap in a V8 and by all means fix it up! I would restore the interior back to original condition and put a super clean paint job on it with a lift and nice tires and wheels. I would be carefull changing trannies, going 3/4 running gear etc. because that could effect your "restored" value of the truck with missing original parts. I doubt a V8 conversion would bother people much /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, especially if you keep the original motor unmolested. Like I said I would restore/fix it up and make it a nice clean head turner and keep it away from offroad use so it doesn't get destroyed and leave you with a ruined investment.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] It's your truck, do what you want with it. Personally, I'd do a 2.5" lift (Tuff Country springs front, ORD 2.5" Shackle Flip rear) and some 33" tires. Oh, and a gear swap if needed. That'll keep it close to stock, but alittle funner. I'd also keep all the original parts too go with the truck if you ever sell it.

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

leave the 250 alone, add HEI, put on some 32" or 33" tires, slap an interior together, and use it as a DD. thats what I would do. I dont know if I'd have the heart to hard core offroad a first gen due to their rarity (now the pickups, thats a different story )

13. 3 on the tree

It doesn't need paint, just waxing and or buffing..Anyone know where I can get a good stock steering wheel, the Colorado desert sun ate this one up beyond repair, its a light beige or off white color. It took me four years to get this rig,elderly friends of mine had it sitting out on their ranch,when they sold the ranch, they GAVE me the Blazer. I put air in the tires, mixed new gas with the 4 year old gas and drove it home 30 miles! I wish I could find out how many 6 cylinder/3 speeds were actually produced in 1970.

14. 3 on the tree

I took some pics with my digital camera.Anyone wants to see them, email me at lvallejo@adelphia.net with your address and I will send them to you. I am proud of this rig and I want to show it off! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. 3 on the tree

JAKESLIM saw your ? about bolts for hardtop-should I pull one off my 70 and check it,also which bolts-body or windshield frame PM me if you need the answers still.