Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

70 LT1 intake

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by jasonkh2tg, Nov 13, 2003.

1. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

I Have a 70 LT1 orignal moter with a orignal GM high rise...When I went to remove the heater hose nipple out of the intake I striped the threads (i knew that was gonna happen I can take care of that not a big deal...)...my problem is a small structure crack has formed on the manifold where the heater hose nipple enters the intake to about a 1/2 inch pointing towards thermosat....I was wondering if anyone know's about how to repair (alum manifolds)......If it were something else I might consider it a loss.....But I seen 70 LT1 manifolds go over 400 bucks on e-bay.....

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

take it to a welder, have them grind into it a little bit to create a trench then try to match the factory look(at least contours) as best as they can.

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I Have a 70 LT1 orignal moter with a orignal GM high rise...When I went to remove the heater hose nipple out of the intake I striped the threads (i knew that was gonna happen I can take care of that not a big deal...)...my problem is a small structure crack has formed on the manifold where the heater hose nipple enters the intake to about a 1/2 inch pointing towards thermosat....I was wondering if anyone know's about how to repair (alum manifolds)......If it were something else I might consider it a loss.....But I seen 70 LT1 manifolds go over 400 bucks on e-bay.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a complete loss to me. I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for $100. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Seriously though, I had a block crack repaired about a year ago by some funky method I'd never heard of. What I gathered was that they basically used some kind of epoxy and pushed it through the crack with pressure somehow. If it works for cast iron it would surely work for an aluminum intake?

It was at a professional engine shop up in Wisconsin that did a lot of racing and marine engines. I would think that any reputable and 'up to date' engine shop would know more about it.

Hope that was vague enough to help... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering how this turned out... Did you get it fixed???

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

No not yet, but thanks for the reply...I have to dream about what Im going to build and install it on first a T-bucket...balls to the wall G-body malibu...the list goes on and on...But in any event when I get that baby fixed I will let you know...And no it' not for sale...