Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'70 steering column and shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tx70Jimmy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Tx70Jimmy

Tx70Jimmy Registered Member

When I bought my '70 Jimmy the front seats had been replaced with high backs. Now I'm not that big of a guy, but the steering wheel seems awful close with the seat in the furthest back position (maybe too much holiday food?!?!?!?!?!). I'd like to know what is the best option for tilt steering, or is it possible to shorten the original column? I may have to look at modifying the seat bracket to get a little more clearance. Also, the rag joint and bearings on the shaft are shot, will later models bolt in?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds like seats need out and bench needs back in

or seat lowered(welding)
    you need to measure and set top of bottom of seat as high as factory put them, measure stock setup in an unmolested rig

for tilt column look in 79 older big chevy vans- the ones iwth key in dash still, it will bolt in, just collapse shaft length a little as needed, no biggie

rag joints are cheap at store, NAPA, etc.,
    or LMC if you have to
    go buy one, use correct fine thread hardware, one bolt and nut are smaller diameter than the other, dont skimp out on this, use thread locker and such!