Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$70 %$&*(#*&%! you got to be kidding!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok got a bad intake to Throttle body gasket. $5 at the dealer.

So I thought I would replace the coolant hoses. The hose off the back of the throttle body to the heater core is dealer only and $70! Not going to pay it...noway. I'll by pass it before I pay that and take my chances of freeze up this winter.

The hose is like a A/C line with a section of hard line then it goes to rubber. Where it goes to rubber it is crimped and the hose is dated 090887 So it's the one it rolled off the line with.

Has anybody had any luck cutting the crimp off and I do mean cut the crimp off not the line to reveal the barb and then using a radiator clamp? Sure would be nice to use $2 worth of standard 5/8 heater hose.

Next question...any surpises to watch out for when changing that gasket? Anybody manage to do it without disconnecting the fuel and coolant lines?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well I am relating this to my app. and I have no coolant lines running off of my throttle body..... My truck is an 89 light duty 3/4 4x4..... We took the stock TB off and replaced it with a Holley... But even witht the stock TB I have no coolant lines.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Well I am relating this to my app. and I have no coolant lines running off of my throttle body..... My truck is an 89 light duty 3/4 4x4..... We took the stock TB off and replaced it with a Holley... But even witht the stock TB I have no coolant lines.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

89 with no coolant running through the adaptor between the actual throttle body and intake?

4. Emmettology 101

Nope. Just have the TB on top with a gasket and then the intake. The only lines running in the back of the TB are 2 fuel lines. The resr of the lines coming off the TB are vacuum..... I can get pics in about an hour if you like...

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Mine has that line. Luckily, it came with the motor and looks new. Sheesh...

On the gasket, no problems. I've had mine on and off a few times with no issues...

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oh, on the fuel lines, I don't recall trying to do it without removing them, but it should be possible (just from memory). Sorry, not much help.

Oh, and mine is an '89 from a 3/4 sub.

Hmmm, one more thing. I wonder if NAPA can splice the rubber back on with their crimper? If not, maybe a hydro shop? We've got one locally that I've used, I swear they can make any line you want...

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v cut those type of lines apart many times and spliced in a section of heater hose and used hose clamps with no problems. I.v even sawed off the crimped ends and slid hose over the metal line and double clamped it.
    Its only hot water under very little pressure. Just use good quality heater hose
    I certinaly wouldn't pay 70 bones to fix it.
    If you have to disconnect the fuel lines be careful not to loose the little plastic gaskets from inside the fittings.
    If i rember right I replaced my gaskets and put a 1/2 inch spacer under my TB without disconnecting the fuel lines. I did not have to take off any heater hose on my 89.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The coolant from the TBI was only used on 454's. It doesn't come from the TBI itself, but from the water heated adapter between the TBI and the intake.

As for replacing the lines, I just dealt with a similar problem on our '94 Suburban. The engine oil cooler lines were leaking at the fittings between the hard and rubber lines. The same place they leaked on our '91 S-Jimmy, and even the new replacement lines from Chevy started to leak about a year after installation. (Obviously, GM has a SEVERE quality control prolem with these lines! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) Well, I refused to pay $150 for new lines from GM that were probably going to start leaking soon anyway. So I removed the factory lines and took them to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses. They cut off the clamping ferrules, removed the old rubber, installed new Aeroquip hose and then crimped on how ferrules, using a freakin' huge hydraulic machine designed just for that purpose. I doubt that those lines will ever leak again! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Total cost for both lines was $28. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll bet you can have something similar done for your coolant hoses for WAY less than a $70 screwin' down at the Chevy dealer.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is there any way to put straight rubber on it? My TBI truck needed the rear heater hose. I simply extracted what was left of the metal end from the intake, screwed in a pipe thread fitting, and threw some rubber hose on it.

10. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    The coolant from the TBI was only used on 454's. It doesn't come from the TBI itself, but from the water heated adapter between the TBI and the intake.

As for replacing the lines, I just dealt with a similar problem on our '94 Suburban. The engine oil cooler lines were leaking at the fittings between the hard and rubber lines. The same place they leaked on our '91 S-Jimmy, and even the new replacement lines from Chevy started to leak about a year after installation. (Obviously, GM has a SEVERE quality control prolem with these lines! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) Well, I refused to pay $150 for new lines from GM that were probably going to start leaking soon anyway. So I removed the factory lines and took them to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses. They cut off the clamping ferrules, removed the old rubber, installed new Aeroquip hose and then crimped on how ferrules, using a freakin' huge hydraulic machine designed just for that purpose. I doubt that those lines will ever leak again! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Total cost for both lines was $28. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll bet you can have something similar done for your coolant hoses for WAY less than a $70 screwin' down at the Chevy dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an idea. Place about three miles from me that can do it.

11. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there any way to put straight rubber on it? My TBI truck needed the rear heater hose. I simply extracted what was left of the metal end from the intake, screwed in a pipe thread fitting, and threw some rubber hose on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looked pretty crowded back there. The hard line makes a 90 right after it's connected to clear the distributor then makes another 90 to clear the valve cover. then goes behind the valve cover and makes a 90 to come up becide the A/C box. I can't even see the thing once it goes behind the valve cover. Plug wires, Map, main harness all in that area. I'll have to take a better look and see if I have the room to go with a hose right to the back of the adaptor.

I am really starting to think about bypassing it. That would be no problem.

12. Emmettology 101

I see alot of talk on bypassing coolant lines at the TB on imports.... I dotn think it is a big problem except some worry about winter time driving but in Atlanta I dont think you need to worry abotu winters. Why not just plug the outlet from where the line comes from and do away with the adapter? Or just plug the adapter too?

Aren't these coolant plates to help prevent TB freezing in the winter? Or somethign along those "lines". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They probably serve to prevent icing in the TB, but probably doesn't hurt to warm up the TB faster either.

They used the same thing in TPI for the TB, but since there is no fuel there, no problems bypassing it whatsoever.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yes that plate is there to prevent icing. It is not a good idea to bypass it. Bypassing It can, under the right conditions cause ice to form around the throttle plates and make them stick open. Not very fun thing to have happen in heavy traffic or a curvy road with the family in the rig.
    Icing can happen in temps well above freezing too. Because of the large pressure differential between the manifold and ambient air pressure in conditions of high humidity.
    I rember there have been some NASCAR accidents/deaths attributed to icing in the middle of the summer.
    I know that bypassing the intake heater plate is a common practice to do on imports by stupid rice boys trying to get the last HP out of their pitiful hondas. But I dont think it is a good thing to do on a massive air gulper like a 454.

With the lack of room there is to work on that hose the best thing to do is prolly what harry sugusted: Have a new one made.

15. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

go to the dealer and as them for a gasket kit for a TBI on a BBC...It has the gaskets for the injector pod and TB and all that stuff...$98 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI told Kirk I would make my own before I spent $98 on a few gaskets...

Chris

16. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    go to the dealer and as them for a gasket kit for a TBI on a BBC...It has the gaskets for the injector pod and TB and all that stuff...$98 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI told Kirk I would make my own before I spent $98 on a few gaskets...

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing one better. I'm sending my TBI set up that will be going on my 75 to Costomefi and letting him rebuild and turn it into a kit and paying the difference LOL. Still haven't got a firm price on what he's going to charge me including a harness.

17. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sending my TBI set up that will be going on my 75 to Costomefi and letting him rebuild and turn it into a kit

[/ QUOTE ]

sure hope you ain't in a hurry /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Bought mine at gm for around $45...

A good hydro shop sholud be able to fix you up though...

$1.99 gasket at azone...they got you there also...

small block hose pn# 15554921...List $59.08...Net $44.31....it is a SPO part as most dealers don't stock them...the other option is to email Mosesburb the parts guru...you will need a restricted heater hose fitting at a preform hose...got the pn# from him when i did the 79...
    DW

19. Grim-Reaper

454 dealer list was $67.

I'm wondering if I can get away bypassing. Might see 20f here a few days of the year. If the preheat in the air cleaner is hooked up would I really need it? a lot of the 350's don't even have it.

20. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought an adapter for $1.99 at NAPA that would fit that hole. It was basically a big nipple fitting that would allow the use of a 5/8" heater hose from the engine to the heater core. Pretty simple and only cost about $8.