Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700/241 to 400/208 swap, what hicups do I need to watch for?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle89K5, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Title say's it all. What little something do I need to keep an eye out on? I want this to be as quick and painless as humanly possible /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I'm looking at a 400/208 from a CUCV, besides the convertor, what else will make me have a bad day...

Anyone?

TIA

KP

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The TH400 will need a switch under the go pedal for the kickdown.

Check the crossmember, make sure you have one that will work with the 400/208.

You'll need a vacuum source for the modulator on the TH400.

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The TH400 will need a switch under the go pedal for the kickdown.

Check the crossmember, make sure you have one that will work with the 400/208.

You'll need a vacuum source for the modulator on the TH400.

[/ QUOTE ]

can I do a cable from the TBI unit for the kickdown?

I've got an old 2x4 laying in the garage from a woodworking project, that'll fix the crossmember issue

How much vacuum is required? I figure to tap off any old post on the intake, BUT...

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Can't use the cable, the 400 has a switch on it (no provision for a cable).

Not sure about where to get the vacuum from, Mine always had a manual v/b so I never had to deal with the kickdown or modulator issues.

You could do the v/b too, you know. I got a reverse pattern unit, I always liked having 1st and reverse next to each other instead of being 4 shift points apart. Things that make you go, hmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, there is no place to hook a cable so you cannot use a cable to "kick down" a TH 400. If you don't care about the kickdown, you don't need it though.

You simply need to hook up a vacuum line. There isn't a measurement of, "how much" vacuum, just hook it up.

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not sure about where to get the vacuum from, Mine always had a manual v/b so I never had to deal with the kickdown or modulator issues.

You could do the v/b too, you know. I got a reverse pattern unit, I always liked having 1st and reverse next to each other instead of being 4 shift points apart. Things that make you go, hmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my plan, but budget says it will work like a normal tranny till I get the new shifter and VB in. That is unless some kind soul wants to donate to the OFN project blazer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Tim,

Didn't think so, but hell, I've been suprised before by items *not getting enough vacuum* Just like to make sure before the thing stomps it's own dong when I hit the gas /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Use direct manifold vacume. Usually off a tree on the back of the intake, but can also come from plenum or base of carb... Just make sure it's not ported above the butterflies.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Use direct manifold vacume. Usually off a tree on the back of the intake, but can also come from plenum or base of carb... Just make sure it's not ported above the butterflies.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was looking for on that one /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Any you should know by now, I'm running FI, no STEEENKIN carb on my rig /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif