Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$700 for a TH350 w/ shift kit!? Opinions needed!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Apr 9, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

OK..the tranny in my K5 is a gimp. I bought it for $50 so it has done its job. I am getting a "new" rebuild from a reputable guy around here. he wants $700 for the whole thing:

$500 for rebult 4WD TH350 w/ shift kit (he says it will help with the bigger meats)

$125 for the HD 6-bolt torque converter (again, for bigger tires)

$58 for a 6-bolt flywheel (going rate)

So $700 + exchange, is this what I need? He also sells the plain rebuilt unit for $410 w/o shift kit.

So what would yo do? Are shift kits worth it??

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

PM me I have a good guy here intown that did my bros for 400 with a good toqure converter I can get his # ..He lives right by chazz88k5 and works at the local tranny shop (does it on the side too.) I can ask about the shift kit too.

3. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I just had mine rebuild a couple of weeks ago.
    Shift kit, torque converter, and new dust cover, all together, $350.
    1 Year warranty with no milage restictions.
    But then again I'm in Texas.

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

it sounds like too much money to me. i had one done 6 mnths ago with everything like that and it cost me $450. i would say yes to a shift kit but i think he is charging you wayyyy too much for everything!!

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I agree. I paid $350 for all of what you are getting for $700. It's just too much that he is charging. I'd look elsewhere.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If you don't mind shipping it, I have a guy here in Vancouver that does incredible work for about $350 complete. He did mine in my chevelle (powerglide w/ TH400 input shaft, 2500 rpm stall, B&M shift kit, all the bells and whistles)and my last blazer (TH350 w/ 2500 rpm stall, B&M shift kit, and bullet proof guts). When I put my 454 in, he is going to rework my current TH350 for me. He quoted me $350 to do it. He also rebuilt my last NP205 for $300. Man I wish I had that blazer still. If you want his info, let me know. If the tranny isn't totally wasted, then the price may be even lower.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the problem is that the blazer is my DD. I can't yank just the tranny to have it sent. Sucks for me...

8. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Way too much!!! I got all that for 450 from a man doing it on the side in AZ

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

thats very steep, i paid less for a 700r4 less tcc

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I just talked to Jamie (tranny guy). He told me he is about 2 1/2 weeks out on work, but that he could get one ready for you for $400. The only problem right now is that he doesn't have any cores to start with, so it may be longer. That probably won't work for you. Well, it was an option anyway.

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

For $700, you should be able to get a 700R-4 that fits your truck. But if that includes the take-out and installation, then it is not a bad deal. For tranny only, it's too much.

Why not rebuild your current tranny or have a shop do it for you? Can you not live without the truck for 2 or 3 days? You could probably spend about $300 on a high performance rebuild kit and torque converter and do the work yourself. It's not what I would call straightforward, fast or easy, but it's doable.