Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$700 for rear disc brakes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MTPockets, Oct 5, 2000.

1. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

my friend and i here in g'ville both have 12 bolts and want rear discs, but dont want to pay $1000 to have them.
    is there an alternative that someone here has seen or performed on their rig? something that can be done for a reasonable amount of money.
    thank you for your help,
    MTPockets.

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Check with TSM (303-688-6882) for disc brake parts, they should be able to set you up for under $300.

ken

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I'm thinking of doing a TSM disk brake conversion to my 14 bolt that I have sitting in the garage. They're a lot cheaper than $700 or $1000. I know for 14 bolts, you just have to buy the brackets ($120), and their flexible brake lines ($50) and that's it. Then buy rotors from a 80 to 90' F250, and calipers from a 76 to 78' Elderado and you're golden. Not sure if the same goes for the 12bolt (that's what I currently have). Shawn and several other guys have done this, so I'm sure they will post.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

That's what I did on my 14 bolt, used the TSM kit. Course I sprung extra for the rotors, because I believe they slightly modify them so that your studs can pass thru them.

ken

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Does TSM have a web page.What's the full name,is TSM just thier initials?

1971 CST Blazer,solid rust free tuck.Work in progress.

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Hey, does the TSM kit come with E-Brake hook ups?

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

TSM
    The
    Streetrod
    Manufacturing Company.

They do a lot of hotrod disc brakes, so that's why they call themselves that.
    -- Mike

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have a TSM disk kit sitting on my porch waiting for me to put it on my 14ff, possibly tomorow. I ordered the brackets and the braided hoses but someone goofed and sent me the whole kit. The kit was $300 plus the $50 for the brake hoses and the $35 I paid for calipers i found used on http://www.planetsalvage.com, so I'm up to $385 so far. You also need custom cables to work with the eldo calipers, theres a place that advertises in the TSM catolog that makes them for about $35 each.</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

9. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

For the 12 bolts you can use stock chevy brakes and modify them to fit.I posted this question a few weeks ago.And am going do it this way.Do a search in this forum for (Rear disk brakes)It was posted 9/14/00.If you don't find it let me know I printed the post with the instructions.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

10. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

the search was unsuccessful, but i tried something else,...i clicked on your name and found your profile, then i clicked on show all posts. i just had to go back to 9/14 and there it was. i can see other k5er's replies as well. now i go to work.
    thank you,
    MTPockets.

11. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Right on! I am going to do mine soon just need to move my parts truck to somewhere I can work on it.Right now it is storage and I am not allowed to work on it there.Need to pull all the parts for the conversion.I have all the parts except the hard line.But will probally just cut the ones on there now and re flare with the correct fitting for the flex line.Shouldn't cost me a dime maybee just brake fluid and time.Now that is a cheap upgrade!!!Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster