Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 gave up the gost

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by westtexask5, Sep 29, 2004.

1. westtexask5

westtexask5 Registered Member

well yesterday my 700r4 took a dump....when it shifts to second it locks up and stops the truck in its tracks /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    what are some good upgrades to this tranny to help it?
    Also what are my other options for trannys that are stronger?

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

buy the book and rebuild it yourself

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

A good rebuild kit for a 700r4 is going to cost about $250, it's commonly available and goes by the name SM465. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

but what if your tired of the whole shifting thing? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't listen to the pedal and stick pushers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif A th700 is a fine transmission for your application. First off in your sig I see 35's with 10b's. thats a fine combo also but do you know what your gear ratio is? I wouldn't want anything higher than 3.73's with 35's and th700. 4.10's or 4.56's would be better. There are TONS of upgrades for the th700 from mild to wild. I would bet with a stock 350 engine and your drivetrain(assuming you have an acceptable gear ratio) that a 700 with a good qulaity rebuild that includes an extra clutch pack in the 3rd/4th set, quality torque converter, good shift kit, and an after market sun shell....should be good enough as long as your cooling system is up to par. You should have the stock radiator cooler first and then into a secondary air to oil cooler behind the grille then back to the transmission. Beware of your local shops, some aren't worth a poo when it comes to a quality rebuild on a 700. Do your research and find out who seems to know the most and who has the best reputation. There are also other options like Bowtie Overdrives. i think their site is www.700r4.com /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the name SM465

[/ QUOTE ]

P U K E

7. Silverado_K5

Silverado_K5 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt my 700r4 with the help from my brother and these are the parts that I used;

1. New lockup solenoid kit
    2. New Alto Kevlar master rebuild kit with 3-4/9 clutch pack. It has the Kolene steels and the Kevlar friction clutches.
    3. New Sun Shell "The Beast"
    4. New reverse boost valve
    5. New 13 vane front pump kit
    6. New Torrington thrust washer kit
    7. New Torrington bearing kit
    8. New Boost valve
    9. New High Rev hardened pump ring kit
    10. New Separator plate
    11. New 29 element heavy duty front sprag
    12. New Billet Corvette 4th gear Servo with 35% more holding power
    13. New Corvette Servo
    14. B & M Shift kit
    15. New Oregon HD Towing convertor

Look up OregonPerformanceTransmission on Ebay for the parts. He's a great guy to deal with and he combines shipping for multiple items.

Doug

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

a buddy of mine rebuilt a 700 about 2 years ago.. he got the parts offbrand and CHEAP. they were shipped in a pizza box. the tranny has about 10,ooo miles on it, and he wheels it hard