Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 lockup conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Batmanjr, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Where can I buy these lockup conversions for my 700? I have an 83 Blazer I tow with and em looking to get a better pull with it, I understand the concept of the lockup, but what all does it take to modify and put in? Where can I get a really good one that won't break on me? Thanks ahead of time!
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure I think forcing lockup while towing is a good idea. It will be fine when engine RPM's are high, and would be fine as long as you keep the RPM's high, but when the engine starts to bog down and lose speed, the tranny will still attempt to stay locked, even though internal transmission pressure will be dropping. you'd have to be REAL careful of this.

I might be wrong, but less line pressure while trying to force a clutch to stay applied (which is what TCC is) will result in torn or burnt clutches in my thinking.

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I've been reading about a lot of people on this site with this conversion on their 700s, but I'm not sure exactly how hard of a conversion it is... Do I have to remove and rebuild the tranny, or is it a plug and play wire, or inbetween? THis is what I really am looking for, and yes, it would have to be used carefully! Thanks for the input! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All wiring. Stock setup uses (basics) vacuum, (how much or how little) vehicle speed, and throttle position to determine when to lock and when to unlock. However, there are only typically 3 wires to the system at the transmission, and that is all you'd have to mess with to wire in a manual switch. Numerous write ups on this procedure.