Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 problems.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Dec 7, 2006.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I have been driving this 89 suburban (350/700) for a few weeks now just bought it from ebay.

when driving it home 700 or so miles, it drove fine but seemed a little sluggish to drop into passing gear, but did 65/70 the whole way home.

Now the downshift is horable highway or street, is i press the gas hard,, it seams like the cluches are slipping as the moter revs with the down shipt but I dont get any power, on the highwya i will slow down a bit, so hard acceleration is out as it does the same.

To night on my way home it started to delay shifting, and wil rev hugh befor it shifts Hard.

from a stop it wont shift untill 30 mph.

the fluid is dark, but does not sell burnt, any ideas, how much of a rebuild i will need?

was going to change the fluid myself this weekend, or would taking it in to do a flush be better?

dave

2. Ryaner9

Ryaner9 Newbie

flush it. run some fluid threw it to clean it out good and the buy some trans x and run it like that. It saved my trans.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Checked the TV cable adjustment?

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

no.
    like i said just got it and need to put it on the road right away, hell it the first 700 i have had in years, 400 in the old burb.

where do i adjust the cable from?

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

The throttle body. Pretty sure there is a link posted in most of the 700 threads that has the info on how to adjust it.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

cool thanks brother

guess ill see up at 5, guess ill see how it drives in the morning, the do some work this weekend :dunno:

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

OD is for pansies, replace it with a 400

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if it seems like its getting worse almost daily, its gonna need to be rebuilt completely.

but first, check the TV cable. push the button in and grab the cable and move it away from the TBI/carb, release the button. then cycle the throttle all the way, it will click out. try it there, if its two soft, push the button and move it away 1 click at a time. if its way too hard move it closer 1 click at a time. you want more hard than soft.

if that doesn't help any pull the governor out (stamped steel cover on the driver side at the rear of the case) make sure the gear is good and the valve is not sticking, broken springs or anything else that doesn't look right.

if you can't figure it out, give me a call after 4pm(still got my numbers? try my home first)ill try to work it out over the phone.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If the fluid is dark it is burnt. Does not matter what it smells like.
    If the fluid is burnt in a 700 your tranny is prolly burnt too.

10. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

First off, DO NOT FLUSH IT, putting new fluid in WILL (and i repeat WILL) make this thing neutralize, ive seen this happen way tooo many times to tell whats going on here, plan on a complete rebuilt but until then check and make sure of max Tv pressure and limp it around, BTW, with me working at a trans shop and being a part time builder on the side, go to a good known trans shop and ask them how much they want to do a bench overhaul, 6-700 bones(on average for a stock overhaul) and you can remove and install it yourself and save a couple hundred... Nate

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

really?

i sould not flush it at all???

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well adjusting it is the least of my worrys.

I drove it to work yesterday dident drive half bad, but after a stop on the way home really started to slip, and locked up on me!

never had that happen befor, back tires locked up and i screached to a halt, so i towed it to a gerage, I am jeadding there now to see what they say.

The worst thing is is that i really want to complane about it but can't becuase i only paid 615 bucks for it so it hard to bitch when i got such a deal :dunno:

13. nocoasthardcore

nocoasthardcore Registered Member Premium Member

The 700 in my 89K5 started acting the same way on a drive across the state, luckily on the way home.
    I changed the fluid and filter(I did not flush. Have seen to many high milage trannies die after a flush to try that. But for a new or low milage tranny I do believe in the flush service) and a can of TransX and a pint of Lucas Oil.
    It lasted just under a year normal back and forth to work driving, about twenty mile round trip.
    But it did eventually go out. And in a bad way.
    Limping through the Kansas country side at fifteen miles an hour was not how I had planned on spending my afternoon.
    See what new fluid will do and plan on a rebuild.
    I was lucky enough to have a brother working at a Chevrolet dealer ship and he got a parts and labour discount. The three year/thirty thousand mile warrenty with roadside gives nice peace of mine.

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

read post above, trannys pooched, locked up on me.