Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 r 4 tranny question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scrappyk5, Nov 9, 2004.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

well i have a 700 r4 that did some weird chit this weekend.
    while driving down the highway, i was heading up an incline
    and ther tranny downshifted out of o/d and i started picking up speed , then all of a sudden it downshifted again and made a big clunk then popped back into o/d and i continued down the highway. well when i got off the highway i no longer had 4th gear unless the converter was in lock-up mode. i have 1st,2nd,and ,3rd. now i can drive down the road with the shifter in the "d" position and all is good. then when i am up to speed i can shift into the o/d position and it will rev up then the converter will lock-up and i will be fine. but when i come to a stop, i have to shift down to the "d" position cause i have no 4th.
    now i have two nuetrals unless the torque converter locks up.
    did i lose something in the converter or the tranny ?
    will i lose all the other gears , or can i drive it ?

anyone have any ideas ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sounds like something broke, doesn't make sence that it would still work with lockup enguaged.

does it act any different in 1st - 3rd? im thinking something to do with the converter, but if 1st threw 3rd still seem fine then /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

the lockup has nothing to do with anything inside the tranny (besides wiring), just the converter.

3. aj johnson

aj johnson 1/2 ton status

check your fluid color and smell.. it should be strawberry colored and not have any burnt smell to it at all. if it does, I'm betting you lost your 4th gear clutches. If that's the case, then the others will follow soon from the contamination in the fluid. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i was thinking that too with the 4th clutches gone out.
    but why would 4th still work in " lock-up " , mode ?