Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 R-4 TRANNY SWAp

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HARRYS81, Jan 19, 2002.

1. HARRYS81

HARRYS81 Registered Member

want to swap out turbo 350 for 700 r-4 tranny in 81 blazer 4x4 what do i need to do this.... please help!!!!!

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You need a different transfer case adapter and transfer case to go with it probably. We just swapped out a 350 turbo/NP203 for a 700r4/NP208. You will need to wire a circuit to lock and unlock the 700r4. Lots of info on the web about that.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

PS fill out your profile please.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i just did that in my 79
    it depends on the transfer casethat you want to use. i used a 205 from a 350 and i only needed theoutput shaft in the 700 to be swapped, i had to buy the out out shaft from advanceadaptorsm,just go to their website for the phone number, everyoe there seemed very intelligent. after that the only thing is the crossmember has to be moved, easy, and the TV cable has to be set up properly, and im still having issues with mine[​IMG] but besides that its very simple

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

5. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

This site might help.
    http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/project/74blazer/tranny/tranny.html

This is where I first learned about swapping in a 700r4.
    It depends on what tranfercase you are using. I am using my existing 203. All I had to do is buy the output shaft from advance adapters. It cost me 183.80. I then ordered from Summit a lockup wiring kit, tranny cooler and a tv bracket for my carb. I then had my tranny shop install the wiring harness. You will have to run a vaccum sensor so the torque converter will lock up. It comes with the kit. You can run the tranny with out a lockup but I have read it is better to run the lockup. You will also need a vaccum hose red &amp; black 18 gauge wire. And green if you want to run a toggle switch to control lockup. I opted not to run a toggle switch. I am not doing this swap alone. My mechanic/friend is doing it I am helping. He decided he would move my engine up so I would not have to mess with the drivelines. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible, well not that cheap. Price will depend on how your tranny is built. And if you move your drivelines. You can also do a search. This has been discussed many of times. And there are many people here that will answer your questions.
    Good Luck