Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 r 4 tranny , W.T.F. happened *** UPDATE*** FOUND PROBLEM

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scrappyk5, May 17, 2003.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

a couple days a go i noticed a vibration when under load.
    it just did it all of a sudden. i would drive around and unless i was pressing on it like going up a hill or something it was just fine. well today i drove up to fr8trains , to get my 14bff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, and on the way back doing about 65 , i heard some noise and that was it. i started slowing down , but the motor stayed the same. i lost power. i was on the side of the road , with the motor running fine but the truck wouldnt move. i revved it up and it wouldnt move in any gears. well i shut it off , and sat for a few minutes thing of what to do, and got kinda cold. i went to start the truck back up and it wouldnt start . i could hear the starter turning really fast but she wouldnt
    start. well after a few hours of waiting for tow rigs , i got it to my work , grabbed a company truck and came home.
    i havent even looked at it yet , but what could it be?. even if the tranny went out , the truck should start . did i break the flywheel off the crank? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.
    any ideas?

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Re: 700 r 4 tranny , W.T.F. happened

Soulds like somehow the flywhell got disconnected from the crank be it either breaking off or the bolts coming out.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like somehow the flywheel got disconnected from the crank be it either breaking off or the bolts coming out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i agree /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif take the inspection cover off and try turning the flywheel by hand

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

tranny go boom... LOL, sounds like a flywheel problem to me... starter spins, but no crank... and no power... yeah

5. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

Well here is what happened to my Jeep (383 with 700R4)

It was making sort of a clicking sound. I though that the flywheel was starting to come apart or it had a crack in it. Still ran fine but just the noise. Well then my wife drove it one day and it started to vibrate and then let go just as yours did. Motor runs fine but Jeep will not go. I took out the tranny and found one of the ears snapped off of the torque converter. Needless to say now when I tell the wife "don't drive the ...... because there may be something wrong" she listens.

Hope yours is something easy. Where are you in VA? I am in Va Beach also looking for 14B FFs

6. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i am at work , so at lunch time i will pull the inspection cover and look to see what happened . its funny , the way you said yours went , mine went too. but i can even start
    my truck , i hear the starter spinning , but the motor isnt turning. we will see.
    oh by the way , i was on my way back from picking up
    a 14bff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. i am in the fredericksburg area.

7. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

That sux, I am leavin town tomorrow fer a week in Tx. If ya need a Flywheel I got one and would be willing to drive up that way and down 81 into Tn to drop it off for you. Just let me know. I was planning on hitting 85-40-20 but I will come up there if you need it that bad. Hope you like the 14ff. I am kinda still looking. I have a line on a 14sf and I might jump on that since mine is about to go bad and then sell my 12 i got in the Garage with no perches on it.

8. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

well i pulled the inspection cover and found that i could turn the flexplate by hand. it was still bolted to the torque convertor. the center of the flexplate was still bolted to the crank. so lucky me , all i need to do is pull the tranny back far enough to stick in a new flexplate.
    thanks for the offer bee , but i have one already.

i am soo happy i didnt fry another tranny.

9. daimok

daimok Registered Member

learn from my mistake , make sure there is 1/8th play - space between the flexplate and torque converter before you install the bolts, you may have washers there already to set the play , i forgot these when i replaced my engine , bows the flexplate something feirce. starter ate that flaxplate in a couple of weeks. loctight the bolts too.

daimok

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well atleast you found the problem and its a lot cheaper than a new tranny /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif still sucks to have to do that though

11. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear you found the prob. Sux but at least it aint the tranny. And no prob on the offer. Hope you get it fixed soon. Talk to yall after my return from TX.

12. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

yeah , thanks guys.
    have a safe trip bee , and keep in mind we need to
    get together sometime soon. some wheeling maybe.

13. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I aint fergot. And I agree that we need to. Before the summer is over maybe. Oh wait. Is this summer? I couldn't tell by the weather here today. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif