Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 R-4 Tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PGL4VT, Sep 22, 2002.

1. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

I took my truck on about a 50 mile trip yesterday. All was fine. I got back in it to come home and it did not want to shift out of first gear. I have reverse and first and I could barely get it to get into second after running the engine up to about 3500 to 4000 RPM. I checked the fluid level. It's fine. Color is not so good. I was finally able to get it into 3rd but there's no overdrive. The farther I came home with it, the worse it got. Today, I have first and reverse only even after changing the fluid. Is it toast? Is there any kind of vacuum line that may have snapped? Anything? This is the same tranny that I overheated about 2 months ago. It caught up to me didn't it? If it's toast, what are suggstions from you guys? I really don't want to mess with it myself. How much am I looking at to fix this? Should I get a rebuilt one? New one? What's the best? Should I take it to a tranny company or what? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks and here's to manual tranny's.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Do a search...it seems there is a "Is my 700 toast" post every week. It seems like the most common thing they do is slip and not shift out of first when they go.

Rene

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Ever notice that a post on 700s is usually folled up by...My 700 trans is _____________. Fill in the blank w/ whatever your problem is. Never any GOOD news. This makes 2 current posts and bigblueblazer (badshark now) blew his Saturday too. Makes me glad I went TH350. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

MY 700r4 RULES!!! Do I need to make a post. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif LOL.
    It does seem like the only news is Bad news, latly! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. Pure Insanity

Maybe you should! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Sing the praises of your 700! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif LOL! Then watch it puke out next week! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif LMAO!

Just playin! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ANYTHING can go bad. Just seems like 700s have the market cornered. Id like to own the company that sells the rebuild kits. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif LOL!

700s can be good trannies if they are built up right. They have a lower 1st gear and OD, Id love to have one if they were just dependable in 4x4 world.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

"Id love to have one if they were just dependable in 4x4 world."-I'm a firm beliver in you get what you pay for. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Never had a problem with mine, lock-up and all. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    I also believe in the praises of rock crucher trannys, I'm not biased just a bit confused at the moment. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    This is the same tranny that I overheated about 2 months ago. It caught up to me didn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Am I to understand that you overheated your 700 a couple of months ago and never bothered to do a service? Do you run a cooler? How often do you check the condition of your ATF?

If you don't take care of a 700, it will die. The rebuild in my 84 has lasted 8 years, and the 700 in my 83 6.2 is factory. My trucks are living proof that a properly cared for 700r4 can last......

8. Pure Insanity

When I went to get my tranny done the guy asked if I wanted a 700 instead of the 350. My dad has used the guy for almost 15 yrs to rebuild trannies for his shop. He builds trannies for drag sprint and circle track cars. He told me not to mess w/ a 700 when I told him what it was going in and how it would be used. Paying for it wasnt an issue. What made me veer away from the 700 was the guy thats been building trannies longer than Ive been alive (Im 31) telling me not to use 1. If youve had good luck thats great, I didnt want to blow a tranny at the corner of 10th and Plum. Thats 10 miles from nowhere and Plum outta luck. Proven dependability is where its at. Take a poll on blown up 700s vs 350s in the last 2 yrs, just on this board. Youll see the results.

NOW in defence of the 700 I will have him build me a 700 for my Camaro when I reach that point.

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

Am I to understand that you overheated your 700 a couple of months ago and never bothered to do a service? Do you run a cooler? How often do you check the condition of your ATF?

If you don't take care of a 700, it will die.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont yell at the poor fella...he learned his lesson...the hard way.

i love my 700 swapped in after my 350 died twice. after i got it bolted u to the 205 all seems well.

Ryan

10. Can Can

dont yell at the poor fella

[/ QUOTE ]

Yell? Was I yelling? Doesn't look like it...... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif It looks to me like Iwas asking a bunch of questions to better understand why his tranny failed.

THIS, HOWEVER, IS YELLING!!!!

11. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'll say it for ya! A sm465 is a great swap in to replace the 700...never worry about tranny heat again! I feel bad for ya but I can tell ya how great it is to never have to worry about my tranny taking a dump on me especially on the road.

12. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

"Am I to understand that you overheated your 700 a couple of months ago and never bothered to do a service? Do you run a cooler? How often do you check the condition of your ATF?"

Yes, I overheated it a couple of months ago. I do service it all the time. Since the problem, I changed the fluid 3 times and the filter twice and added a cooler but apparently it was too little too late.

13. Can Can

10-4. Unfortunately, a lot of people out there figure that the "other" dipstick is just there for decoration. I knowna few guys that religiously check their oil, but only pull the tranny dipstick once every couple months. IMHO, that's a big no-no, especially with a 700r4.

14. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

kind sir,

Thank you for that ClArIfIcAtIoN

15. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

I just ahd the same thing happen to me. My 700 just took a S__T on me this past weekend. I have some guy rebuilding it and it is goping to cost me $900. He was saying that the way he is going to rebuild it will be better because the 700's are not all that great and they have constant problems.

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It is possible that the only thing wrong is a stuck throttle valve. Of course, when the valves start to stick, it's often a sign of something spewing junk. You should at least check the TV cable to make sure it is connected and adjusted right. Then take the top part off the throttle and give that thing a few quick pulls and releases as that SOMETIMES frees the sticking valve. Then get the pan off and have a look for stuff in it. You can always pull the valve body (make sure you know how to do this) clean it and free any stuck valves. This will get you driving again. If the tranny is truly hosed, it will only be temporary until more junk finds it's way into the valve body. You can also get a spring to help prevent TV hangup. It is the only valve in there with no return spring, which is why it is always the first one to get hung up.

17. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

My guys all go to performance/maint. classes like every 3 months or something. The older shops (with the older guys) didn't even let me get the words, 700.......out when they started pumping up other trannys. I feel its like "oh you got computers and stuff in your car, we need to take all that out, and start over"??? I know its all in preferance, but I paid like twice even three times what you all paied and never had a problem(knocks on fake wood).
    My example to you all is the guy that built my unit told me (I was a bit relunctant after all the other shops) to go see him run his Daily driver late model Camaro at the local 1320. He ran very fast, I don't remember exactly how fast but I belive it was like 11.5 or something. Enough that my friend and I almost sh!t ourselves. I spoke with him later at the track, and he told me this is his 2nd motor but still the built "orignal" tranny, daily driven. I told them I wanted a trans. that would do serious wheeling with huge tires. they told me what cooler to get and built me a unit. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Pull out your governor and check the nylon gear on the end of the shaft. If it's stripped, then that's your shifting problem. If it's OK, then check the rod in the center that moves up and down when the flyweights move in and out. That center rod is a valve and it could be stuck. If it is stuck, disassemble the Governor and clean it in solvent. Then re-assemble the governor and reinstall it. Next check your fluid level and then take it for a test drive. If your lucky, it will shift like normal.

When you changed your ATF, if you didn't flush the fluid out of your torque converter and coolers, then it should be done. You simply unhook the top line on the tranny (return line from the cooler) and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Start the engine and as ATF is pumped out of that line, add more the usual way at the same rate, which is about about a quart every 20 to 30 seconds. It's easier if you use gallon bottles instead of quarts. Flush about 3 extra gallons thru, or until it runs clean, and then shut the engine off. Put everything back together and top off as necessary.

One last thing. Put some magnets in the bottom of the pan next time you have it off. These will collect any metal in the fluid and help your tranny to live longer.

Good Luck