Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700-R4 deep pan options- (did a search need more opinions)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jan 27, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I think my tranny pan is warped because I have changed the gasket and fluid twice and it has leaked from the back of the tranny pan ever since. I even tourqued the bolts down to proper specs. I am considering a deep pan possibly one with a drain plug. This is what I have found so far:

B&M deep tranny pan

Although I am not a fan of the chrome, I could deal with it for the extra capacity and drain plug. Do you guys know of any other options for a deep tranny pan? Also, which is better aluminum or steel?

Thanks guys
    Ross /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have one of those B&M's...its in my garage because the exhaust crossover pipe was too high, and the pan wouldn't clear the filter when putting it on, had to pry on the exhaust pipe a lot. If you have a different exhaust setup it would work fine though, i'd sell you mine if you want

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I run the TCI aluminum deep pan. I bought it used from here. The fins have been slightly ground in the front to clear the factory crossmember.

For aluminum vs. steel, first off you couldn't grind the fins for better clearance on a steel/chrome one! Second, aluminum will cool and dissipate heat better than a steel one. The aluminum is also much thicker than the steel one. However, steel is stronger and would stand up to beign bashed on the trail more than an aluminum one. I carry my original pan as a spare off-road in case I put something through the aluminum pan.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I carry my original pan as a spare off-road in case I put something through the aluminum pan.

[/ QUOTE ] I hope you carry about a case of ATF too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif A busted tranny pan will dump out a LOT of fluid before you get the engine shut down. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I get it in gallons from Walmart.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's the spirit! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Steel is more forgiving, steel will dent..... aluminum in most cases will just crack or a chunk will pop out of it. In a 4X4 I'd stick with steel.... but then again I'm not smart enought to carry another pan and fluid to replace it if I break it.

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I bought mine off ebay for like $20. steel pan with a drain plug. Its been of twice, and still no leaks. I think it was a B&amp;M pan.

10. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Have any of you guys had clearance problems with a deep tranny pan and the stock exhaust? I know 90k5 did but I looked under my truck today and it looks like the exhaust is low enough to not interfere with a deeper tranny pan.

Thanks for the input thus far.

Bubba have you had any experience with those pans?

Thanks
    Ross