Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700-R4 Going......Again?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Jan 17, 2005.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Background: My turcks original tranny went out at 90,000 miles, so I had it rebuilt to the tune of $1,300. It has lasted me 2 years and 50,000 miles....is that a normal amount of time for a rebuilt tranny to last?

Current situation: I think it is going out again because there are serious drivline vibrations under accleration (at all times) and during deceleration unless it is in drive (not OD). and it is downshifting with a big CLUNK and only when it reaches about 500 rpm will it down shift. upshifting seems normal. I dunno, it's late, but something is definitely not right. It's just that I hate the idea of spending alot of money really soon on something i've already spent alot of money on. I dunno... what do you guys think?> :1zhelp:

2. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

check your u joints first. do it with the vehicle in nuetral so you can spin
    your driveshafts.
    i just got done replacing my i u joints , and thats how i knew they were going out. the vehicle was vibrating and clunking.

also , you have a very strange way of expressing what " having a truck is like ":frown1:

3. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

You can get many more miles out of a 700r4 than 50,000. The key is to keep the trans fluid cool and clean. Get a huge cooler and bypass the one in the radiator. Get a trans temp guage to see how it is working and install a remote filter motor oil type to keep the fluid clean. I have dual coolers (bypassed the radiator one because I lost an engine and in the process it heated the trans to 350+ so I learned my lesson) and dual remote mount napa gold oil filters. I have well over 100,000mi on it with no problems. It has pushed 35" and 37" tires its whole life. Make sure the shop that rebuilds is familiar with the changes that need to be made on the trans. Good luck!

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

When Nicole and I first married, she had a '88 C10 with a 700r4. We had to have it rebuilt it. It wasn't a year or two later with only about 10,000miles on it and the tranny pooped the bed.:mad: Of course it was rebuilt in Colorado and we were living in Virginia at that time.

I think that it's hard to find a good shop that knows how to rebuild a 700r4 the "right way".

I'll go to the junkyard and get you a TH400. We can throw it in inbetween moving boxes.:wink1: :rotfl:

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Have you checked out your U-joints? Bad U-joints can cause bad vibrations and clunking.
    Damn, someone beat me to the answer again.:o

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i second (or is it third) the ujoints, a 700r4 with a decent rebuild will last longer than 50k if not beat on.

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I had that problem with my driveshaft on the highway. Got so bad it popped the u joint out of the yoke and i ended up driving home with tranny fluid spilling out my case in front wheel drive. :woot: :pimp1: lol.

Get your driveshaft checked and balanced. If you have a lift on it the angle might be too much for your u joints.... Had to get my driveshaft lengthened and also needed a new yoke. If the caps have any slack in the yoke it will vibrate real bad. My yoke was so worn out it couldn't hold the u joint caps in.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

More 700r4's meet a early death because of a impropperly adjusted TV cable.

9. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

I know how hard it is to find a good shop to get a tranny rebuilt because i work in a tranny shop. most of the people who come in say they got screwed by places like AAMCO and Cottman. go to the small shops that you know do quality work. a good tranny shop will check the valve body and the valves to make sure the check balls are in the right place, etc... and not just throw new clutch packs in and throw the front pump and gaskets in and call it a day. get a big ass cooler on that bitch and it will be fine. i will be building a th350 for my rig to handle the torque of my diesel that will soon be turboed. i got a kit from TCI that will make the 350 bolt up to my 208 unless i find a 241.

10. calgary_redneck

calgary_redneck Newbie

The 700r4 is a fairly good tranny and if not abused should be able to do over 100,000 fairly easily but as perviously mention keeping them cool is important and when you get them built make sure you have it does by a reputable tranny guys especially the earlier ones which needs cirtiain upgrade to beaf them up. Anther important point that was mentioned is proper adjectment of the tv cable, which is vital to transmission life as it controls line pressure. Hook it up wrong and your tranny will life a very very short life

11. B_to_C

ok, sorry it took me so long to reply...been working all weekend i only get online late at night now. Anyways...

Ok, so originally I thought the vibes had to do with the fact that I borke one of my rear schok mounts off. Then as they got worse, I could tell it was definitely driveline. So I also assumed U-joints...BUT i never checked them (been freeeezing here, + no time) and then the clunking and wierd downshifting started so if figured it was the tranny.

SO...I will get under there this week and check those U-joints, and hope beyond hope that they are the cause of all this.

AND...I do have an auxilary cooler, a temp gauge and an inline filter, and i change the fluid once a year... but thanks for those tips anyways.:p:

oh and as far as my sig...sorry if that is offensive or makes you sad because it talks about kids dying, i'm just making fun of the old saying that having a truck is like having a kid. you know...that with our trucks it's not all pleasure.

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

60$ a meal over here in cali

13. B_to_C

I'm an idiot.

It was the rear U-joint. :doah:

14. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Thank goodness it was that simple.:D

15. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

lol check your angle and yoke man. I replaced 3 u joints before i figured out i needed a new yoke and driveshaft.