Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700-r4 just won't shift...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    700-r4 just won\'t shift...

Last night, my tranny started shifting arround 3000 rpm at every shift... and the shifts were hard as hell. I parked my truck by a campfire and when I woke up in it this morning and went to leave... it won't even shift out of first gear at all!!! what is wrong? Is it TV cable related? I didn't do ANYTHING at all to the tranny in the last couple of months....

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: 700-r4 just won\'t shift...

You might try changing the fluid and filter first. I have had auto trannys get water in them and act like that. Fresh fluid and filter and it was back to normal. While the pan is out check for excessive and large metal shavings in the pan. That is a bad sign. There will always be some grit in the pan from wearing clutches but large metal shavings with a burnt smelling fluid means a rebuild is coming due.

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Re: 700-r4 just won\'t shift...

I'm gonna have to go with something mentioned above, but the TV cable adjustment goes as follows.....

Look at the bracket where your throttle and cruise control are at go. The TV cable can be recognized because the end that hooks to the linkages is plastic slip on piece and where it goes through the bracket will have a large "D" shaped button on it. Push that button in (its rather stiff) and grab the cable where it goes into the button housing. It should make a rathcing sound when moving it. Bring the cable forward will make it shift earlier and make the downshifts slower. Bring it forward will make the shifts slower and the downshifts quicker/touchier.