Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700-R4 leakage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Dec 28, 2004.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My 700-R4 seems to want to leak again. I have already replaced the input seal, T.V. cable seal and tranny pan gasket about a year ago. Is there something that I am missing that requires a seal? It seems to leak from the front of the tranny and down the crankcase cover,

Is there any way that the torque converter could be leaking?

Any help is appreciated.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

it could be your front main tranny seal or your rear main engine seal that is leaking

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had replaced the input seal when I had the tranny down before. Is the front main tranny seal the same as the input seal, just different terminology?

The rear main is leaking, but not that much, lol. This is noticeably tranny fluid.

Ohh, it also seems to have irregluar amounts of leakage, meaning it leaks a little sometimes and larger quantities at other times, just fyi.

Thanks

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it is possible that the bolts are leaking, they have an oring under the head of the bolt to seal them off. the only thing i can think of unless the bushing behind the seal is bad and allowing the front seal to leak.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you lube the input shaft (the one that seals the converter hub, right?) seal before you ran it?

I didn't on my pinion yoke (same type of seal) and it started leaking shortly afterwards. Next time I greased the seal up (not oil) and it is still working fine with no leaks.

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

What bolts are you talking about that have an o-ring under them?

I don't remember if I lubed the input seal or not. What would I lube it with if I have to replace it?

Thanks

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I lubed mine with wheel bearing grease, a very light coat. I'm sure thats not optimal, but its all I had. :) Perhaps vaseline, but I'm not so sure that it's thick enough, and I know it breaks down very easily.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You can use baby powder to dust the area you think the leak is coming from, it will help you pinpoint the exact source of the leak. If you replaced the input shaft seal but it still leaks up front in that general area I would check your front pump seal and front pump bolts as recommended in earlier posts. If you remove the inspection plate there should be a small lip right above your trans pan and just below your front pump housing. Try to determine if the leak is pooling up on that lip. If it is wet there and the input seal looks dry then focus on the bolts first and then the seal last. Either way you will probably have to drop the transmission to get in there and do the job right. Here is a link to transmission rebuild videos if you think you need one, might help.

http://www.drivelineplus.com/videos/transmission.phtml

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I forgot all about that. I did replace the pump seal as well. That's why I'm baffled as to why its leaking from there.

Thanks for the replies so far!!!

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the pump bolts, my mind was going faster than my fingers, lol

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Pump Seal

If you nicked that pump seal going in or it twisted or pinched - it will leak. Did you coat it with vaseline or other lubricant when you dropped the pump in? Did you use guide studs and go slow or just eyeball it? I've had to pull the front pump on brand new transmissions because the builder nicked that seal going in.

It is also possible you deformed the input shaft seal going in with the converter. Maybe your trans case has a minute crack in the housing. Try to provide some more detail on how you assembled the unit if you still need help. Sometimes you have to lay under there with the inspection plate off and watch for the drip - just be careful. If you can pinpoint the leak that would help.

Keep trying, you'll get it eventually.