Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 r4 needs help

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by icemanoh58d, Mar 25, 2006.

1. icemanoh58d

icemanoh58d Registered Member

It's clunking into gear in reverse and has some sort of weird vibration or howling sound coming from it when going down the road. Ya think I need a new tranny and if so what is the best way to go rebuild, raptor, bowtie overdrive, something other than a 700r4 it's a NA 6.2 and my daily driver/mud clay sand truck what are the suggestions or is there a concensus out there of the best thing to run in the way of tranny's

Thanks again guys you've already saved me thousands of dollars have to take some of you out to lunch or something if you ever come to tennessee and check out Turkey Bay at Land Between The Lakes

Trev

2. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

My tranny guy out here in Calfornia rebuilt my 700R4 and he said he just uses Brog Warner parts...no body elses. I asked about upgrades and he sold me a "9 plate 3-4", which I assume is the 3rd gear to overdrive cluch pack and a "5 pinion planet" which is something he said seems to overhead with the 4 pinion stock version. He says that where all the 700R4s get hot and breakdown fluid etc.... I got it all for $1380 in and out in two days...

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Check you ujoints first!!!!!!!!!!!

4. icemanoh58d

U joints all look good I've got under there and pulled on the driveshafts to check for play theres a little in the front d/s where the shaft is joined together but that is it. You think that could possible be causing it ?

5. maynardogle

On my 84 with automatic hubs...front shaft only moves in 4wd. When my u joints went, it was pretty obvious, especially at low speed. I could feel the vibration in my but. Is your real differential full of fluid?. I pulled the rugs and pads from my blazer and road noise went up dramatically. mostly from wheel wells.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

really check the u joints...

I've seen a hundred u-joints that "looked" perfect,and had no play when shaken by hand...but when I took them out,nothing but rusty dust came out of one of the caps,no needle bearings!...you almost HAVE to dissasemble them to be 100% sure they aren't junk...something I'd do before condemming a tranny,unless you just replaced them very recently...:crazy:

7. icemanoh58d

Good call removed the front drive shaft as that had some play in it and I am planning on replacing it with something from high angle driveline but the U-joints didn't look all that bad but, in need of replacing yes. Went for a test drive with it out and I've still got a vibration when coasting down from about 60-65 if I let off the gas quick it makes a hell of a whirring noise and I can feel it in my seat?, and the tranny still feels like it's slipping gonna replace the rear u-joints next thanks guys

Trev

8. maynardogle

When I had my U joints done...I wussed out and took the whole shaft to a local driveline shop. In addition to selling me "teflon sealed, 100 thousand mile" u joints...they also straighted and rebalanced my shaft as part of the job. In my penniless youth, I just banged out old joints and banged in a new set....however, given that you suspect your tranny and appear to wanting to do it right..., I'd make damn sure that shaft is perfectly straight ad balanced before I put it back in...

9. icemanoh58d

Ok removed the front drive shaft drove it for a day transmission is almost completely dead won't do reverse clunks in to first really hard and only shifts into 2nd consistently only made it into third once on the "limp home" called bowtie overdrive and priced a new one 1641.89 includes level two k-case 1600 stall torque converter trans pressure and temp guages, diesel governer, wiring for lock-up, shipping, no-core charge and a one year unlimited mileage warranty that starts when your finished with the install. This appears to be the best thing I can find considering a local rebuild is about 1200-1300$$ O'reilly has one for $790 but that is stock and probably just gonna burn up again when I'm out muddin or pullin or just havin fun with my truck. Let me know if this sounds like a good deal or if there is something I'm forgetting in this ordeal of mine as far as the drive shaft I'm gonna take your advice and have that checked out just need to find the right kind of shop to do it.

Thanks Again
    Trev

10. maynardogle

$1641...and you still gotta put it in yourself...ouch...but that's what the specialty rebuilders get huh.. and don't even want your old case back...

If it were me... I'd ask around the local big dogs..and find some shop that specialized in race trans, and get some advice. If you have a problem with a mail order transmission...you probably gotta pay to pull it to get it replaced. Bottom line...I'd get it local done if I could...

11. icemanoh58d

Will do thanks for the advice

Trev

12. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

When you get that new tranny in *dont forget to flush out the cooler in the radiator if the lines are hooked up.Also need to get a good fan mounted trans cooler.

13. icemanoh58d

I think I'm gonna go with a local guy who installs jasper transmissions it comes with a 3yr 75,000 mile warranty and is around $2000 installed as far as the transmission cooler I've just got the one mounted in front of the radiator do I need to add to that as well if so any suggestions as far as manufacturers type etc

Trev

14. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

Just as a side note ,Jasper just rebuild them to stock spec,no up grades.I have installed a lot of jasper (engines,trans) 50/50 some good some not.If I was going to spend that kind of money I wouldn''t go Jasper.Most of them don't make to warranty.

Can you pull the trans ,or do you need some body to do it?(lack of tools,place to pull it)
    Have you called TCI,B&M,Art Car,Coan,Gm parts.

CrewCab59

15. icemanoh58d

Again thanks for the advice I can pull it myself no prob and take it to the local guys for a rebuild with some upgrades or go with one from somebody like bowtie overdrives. Mine is the old style case and I wanted to upgrade it so I have electric lock-up this whole thing is starting to get real confusing also can get a rebuilt from O'reilly for $785 and do it myself which is not a problem a rebuild from local guys is looking like around $1200 and one from bowtie overdrives or raptor is around $1600 and I would do the install let me know what you think CrewCab59

Trev

16. 4XSlave

4XSlave Registered Member

I used to have a dodge durango that was making a whinning sound and bad vib took it in found out it was the rear pinon bearing. just a thought.

17. icemanoh58d

Thanks and I thought it could have been something else at first or I had hoped but now the tranny won't even go into gear except when I first start it and it's cold it'll move about 10 ft hopefully enouhg to get it on a trailer to take over to my buddies house

Trev

18. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm running the BTO stage II. I see the price went up some in the past year (ouch). Does that price include a converter? (Diesel converters are $$$) But for the price, and quality I don't think it can be beat.

Supposedly they have VERY few warrantee returns.

Just make sure you specify DIESEL tranny.

19. icemanoh58d

I think they have me convinced to go with a stage three BTO K case it's only $130 more than a stage 2 and handles up to 650hp next question is what stall rpm torque converter do I get I was thinking 1600 for this diesel but I don't really know. After shopping around and much debating I'm going with Bowtie Overdrives because I haven't found anything bad said about them and they seem to come highly recommended by you boys here at CK5 $1770 is a lot of money for a new tranny but I want to do it right the first time so that as I upgrade my horsepower/torque I don't end up running into the same problems again again thanks for all the advice and I will keep you posted as to the progress of the install etc. I can even take some pictures and stuff and offer advice for others about to install a tranny for the first time as it will be mine I'm sure it will be a learning experience and I can pass along my notes

Trev

20. icemanoh58d

I'ts Been Ordered

BTO stage 3 ordered $1750 1800 rpm stall Tq Conv all set up with everything I need including a t-shirt let you know when it gets here but so far I am very pleased in dealing with these guys

Trev