Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700-r4 problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DerrickL, Apr 2, 2000.

1. DerrickL

DerrickL Newbie

I have an 89 Jimmy with TBI350 and i believe a 700-r4 tranny. The problem is that when i put the truck in Drive it shifts to second gear just fine but when it should shift from second gear to third gear, it seems to go into neutral instead. Has anybody ran into this problem and/or know of the fix and how much it would cost to fix?

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

go on the web and search for a site called "Drive Train" when you see pink you got the right one...or look back in the posts for one called automatics...

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

3. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

This is not going to cheer you up. I'm running the identical truck and when mine did that, the 3-4 packs were history and I bought a rebuilt. Paid $700, 1 year warrenty. Mine went at 162,000 miles.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Unfortunately, 89Jimmy is right.......My 84 did the exact same thing as yours and needed to be replaced.......I guess the good news is that 700r4s are a lot cheaper to buy/rebuild than they were a few years ago. One piece of advice - keep your truck in drive until you hit about 55mph, and if you're driving in the mountains or hills and she's dropping in and out of overdrive, keep her in drive until the going gets easier. DON'T drive around town in overdrive!

5. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

A high quality cooler and temp gauge so you know whats goin' on with your tranny can't hurt.

John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

6. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

I just have one question to Canmore. I thought I posted this a while ago, but it never showed up. On the 700r4, do you have to actually shift it into overdrive, because above my shift indicator it says "automatic Overdrive" and it just goes P R N D 3 2 1 Is this a 700r4? If not, what is it?

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Mine shows park, reverse,neutral, drive with a circle around it, then just a d then ,2,1

8. Can Can

Kiblsnbits: Your shift indicator will either have a D with a circle around it for overdrive, or in your case, the 3 is drive and the D is overdrive. So keep her in "3" or "circleD" unless you're on the highway...............TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

Ok, so I was driving to school this morning, and I did what you told me to do, and was driving in 3, and I wasnt thinking much about it, but then I started to listen. I would hear it upshift into 2nd, and then to 3rd, but then, it would shift again... into a fourth gear. And while driving in 3, when I would come to a stop, the downshift from 2 to 1 came with a slight jerk that I dont feel while in D Now Im really confused.... What exactly does an "Automatic Overdrive" do? And why is it shifting into fourth? I tried driving it in 1, and it stayed in first gear, and the same for 2nd, but while in 3 it shifts to fourth. Is it shifting to fourth, or is the overdrive kicking in?

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

http://<font color=blue>www.thegrid.net/thedrivetrainpage

<font color=black>This place will answer all your tranny questions. Mine does the shifting thing when in third gear, as you are going down the road in 3rd say at 45mph, slowly depress the brake pedal without moving the accellerator pedal. The tranny will "drop" a gear when the brake pedal has gone far enough to light the brake lights. You are coming out of lock-up.
    By going to the site above and just reading you will find out all about lock-up and how it works and just what is happening. I thought I needed a new tranny till I read the articles and found it is natural for it to do this.

11. Can Can

Eagle86K5 is right. What feels like a shift into fourth is actually your torque converter locking up. So you are still in third, or drive, and not in overdrive. I like to refer to lock up as a half gear. I'm still not quite sure what happens inside the tranny when the convertor locks up. But just to try it out, get on the highway and once you're up to speed in drive, or third, manually shift into overdrive and you'll feel the difference. Hope this helps!

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Go to the sit listed above and it will explain just how it works, it will take the mystery out of the tranny....