Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700-R4 problems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell Keys, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

OK..First off...83 Jimmy, 6.2, 700-r4...Today my tranny wouldn't shift into OD on the highway. It would just stay in 3rd. Also I noticed that sometimes it wouldn't shift all the way back into 1st after I stopped, just 2nd. But when manually shifted into 1st it would work. Also the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts are real late now but still firm. I checked the fluid level and it was higher than normal and had a dark color and a slight burned smell. I noticed little spots of fluid on the tailgate and fluid on the whole underside but can't really tell where it's coming from. I will be trying some things this weekend to find out what to do. Someone suggested I might have a valve body prob, or the governer. I was hoping someone had experience with a prob like this or some good advice they could share (hopefully other than a rebuild). Thank you-Russell

2. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

have no idea what the cause is, but the reason for the symptoms is overheating
    causing to appear over filled and prob leaking out of the overflow tube and getting on the drive shaft and slinging out the rear and the backdraft causes it to get on the rear gate and glass. (sound like i have had this prob before?)

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Did the fuid feal gritty? If so then it is shot.
    Your cooler lines may be plugged, or your motor is running real hot. These tranny's are very sensitive to heat, anything over about 180 and they start to have problems.
    You need to get it addressed NOW!!!
    That is how mine died, from overheating my motor /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    An aftermarket cooler will help things dramatically.
    If the fluid is clean, just burned then you need to get the system flushed, and the filter replaced. If there is metal in it then your torque converter is hosed, if grits but not metal then the clutches are gone. Good Luck.

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Did the fuid feal gritty? If so then it is shot.
    Your cooler lines may be plugged, or your motor is running real hot. These tranny's are very sensitive to heat, anything over about 180 and they start to have problems.
    You need to get it addressed NOW!!!
    That is how mine died, from overheating my motor /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    An aftermarket cooler will help things dramatically.
    If the fluid is clean, just burned then you need to get the system flushed, and the filter replaced. If there is metal in it then your torque converter is hosed, if grits but not metal then the clutches are gone. Good Luck.

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Do a fluid & filter change ASAP. I warmed mine up pulling my boat. Blew fluid all over the underside of the rig. Put a big ass stacked plate cooler on and all is good.It was brown and stinky but I guess I didn't hurt it. Better than a Raptor... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Jim

6. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

I've got a large cooler on it. This is the first time this has happened. I have to drive it to work today about 3 miles(no other choice) but then tonight i"ll change the fluid. Is it possible to flush the system myself. I believe I heard someone did it by taking a cooler line off and while running add fluid to the tranny until only clean fluid comes out. Just a thought. I don't trust any of the lube shops aroynd here.

7. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

DISCONNECT THE RETURN LINE AT THE TRANNY GET A BIG BUCKET AND OPEN UP THOSE NEW QUARTS OF OIL BEFORE YOU START . START THE TRUCK UP AND START FILLIN THE TRANNY WITH THE NEW FLUID TILL IT COMES OUT CLEAN. DROP THE PAN CHANGE THE FILTER. TOP IT OFF AND YOU ARE DONE. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif