Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. 85blazer350

85blazer350 Registered Member

My trannie just went to the shop and I found out that i cant even get another 2000 k.m out of it so im decieding on what to do.I could get it rebuilt back to stock for 1200 or they said they would eliminate all the wireing inside and make it non lockup with a cheater 2 t-converter all this for 1600 this is also canadian dolars.Im picking up a 12 bolt rear end soon and wiil be swapping in 4.56 to run my 35s and i just finished rebuilding my 350 so I need all the advise I can get on picking a trannie

2. 85blazer350

Also its an 85 or should i find a newer one to get rebuilt

3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

RAPTOR!

My Pics

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The tranny shop in Calgary that does a lot of work for us(ATCO GAS) told me that a totally updated 700r4 would only cost about $900+/- installed. And when I got my 700r4 rebuilt in 1993 it only cost me $1100 installed. $1200 sounds a little steep to me.

If you wnat I can get ahold of the guy and ask him what you should be paying. Too bad you weren't closer, eh?

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I also think you should go with the Raptor . Beings you plan on getting bigger tires and upgrade drive train get the strongest tranny you can. Also get a new torque convertor.
    But if you are going to have a local shop do it.
    I would not let anyone modify my 700r4 unless you were absoultly sure they knew what thet were doing. You cant just go slapping parts in them and disconecting the torque converter lockup and make them work right. Disconnecting the t- convertor lock up results in slip across the convertor. Slippage generates heat. Heat kills 700r4s. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
    Get some references before you let someone modify it.
    Pre 88 700r4s should be upgraded. In 88 GM upgraded 700r4s with better lubrication and better clutch packs.
    That is really the only up grade yours needs.Other than that I would keep it stock. There are many tranny techs who dont have a clue on how to properly build a 700r4.

For more info ckeck out this site: Blazer pics

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There's only one problem with the Raptor suggestion, guys. 85blazer350 lives in Northern Alberta. The exchange rate would kill my fellow Canuck, and I'm sure the shipping would cost an arm and a leg too.

Us guys north of the border just can't afford a lot of the cool parts you guys have access to[​IMG].......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

7. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

ok, so this isn't my post, but i looked at the raptor and i want one. problem is i have a 74 np203/sm456. what else do i need to do to get a raptor? do i need some type of computer? i still have the stock 350 carb engine. but will be going to a tbi in the future, either a 350 or a 454 haven't decided yet. and will be going 14b-ff and dana 60 front with 4.56 gears. gotta get it all together. help
    thanks

If it can't be broken then I haven't had it.
    '74K5 NP203/sm465 4"Lift 35"BFGs 350ci

8. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

even if you don't go for the raptor -- they have rebuilt stock 700's for $770 american (is there any other currency?) ... may be a better deal even with shipping included.

9. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I thaught they updated the TH700R-4 in '87??

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

10. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You don't need a computer. The 700r4 does have an electric lock up convertor but you can use a simple switch for that. You can actually purchase that with the raptor for $45. As far as your transfer case goes you could change the input shaft on it from a 10 spline to a 27 spline to match the 700r4 output. However you would be better off to just get a NP205 with the 27 spline input off a TH350, and order the raptor with the short 27 spline ouput shaft. This would keep the whole assembly shorter which will help with driveline angles. Also I believe the 205 is actually lighter. All of this is if you wanted to go automatic. In your situation I would get the NV4500. You would still have to make transfer case changes, but you wont have to change the truck from stick to auto. These changes would include a different steering column, a different pedal assembly, tranny cooler lines, and if your smart an additional tranny cooler. Don't forget the driveslines. Their lengths will probably need changing too. All in all a very expensive proposition. Hope this helps.

Mike.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/view_album.pcgi?set_albumName=albun08>My Pics</a>

11. 85blazer350

Need advice will my 85 700r4 hold up if I only get it rebuilt to stock form for 1200 I will only have 35s with 4.56 so I was wondering if it would hold up for at least a year I will do some trail riding mainly sand and mud trails wont be doing any rock crawling mainly mud. So should I just get the normal rebuild.Any advise would be aprieciated.Calling trannie shop tomorrow.
    Thanks for all the help and advise

12. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

It might but why risk it? If you can get a better rebuilt trans for a couple of hundred more why do it twice? To me I would get done once the right way with the best parts and forget it. My buddy bought a Jet 700r4 and it cost him 1900.00, You should be able to find a good local shop who will be able to do it for less.

13. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would recomend A GM certed tranny. They come with a 3yr/50,000 mile warranty. I did this since I knew the 700r4s are not the best tranny. I did it in both my trucks. The one in the Jimmy has held up great for 5 yrs now. On the other hand the tranny I got for the burb was a bad rebuild when I got it from GM. Well now GM has to put in a new one and the only thing I have to pay for is fluid :) Thats why I went with the warranty since it sucks changing those trans. And the best part is the warranty starts over. BTW they also come with all the updates in them so they are stronger than the old ones.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

14. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. i know it will be expensive but this is gonna be one sweet blazer when it gets done. and besides if i need to g/f to run to the store and get some beer cause i can't get off the couch, i'll need an auto :-) actually i was going to go automatic in this because i only do sand and highway with this beast and well traffic is a PITA with a manual.

If it can't be broken then I haven't had it.
    '74K5 NP203/sm465 4"Lift 35"BFGs 350ci

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, forget the $1200 rebuild!!!! Spend another $300 and you can get a Raptor. Its ownz any rebuild. Not only that, but you'd still have your other tranny, which you could keep as a backup...or sell, or fiddle with (one way to learn about the slush box!!). I gotta raptor a while back and love it! Throw a deep-pan and a BIG cooler on that bad boy and go go GO!

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

16. 85blazer350

I would love to get a raptor but it would probably cost me 2500 plus to get it here over a thousand more which i just cant afford But would a stock 85 700r4 hold up as a daily driver with some long road trips and weekend weeling.Or should I pay 1600 for the non lockup with a cheater 2 t-converter becuase the raptor is out of the question so I will have to get it locally.
    Thanks for all the replies

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

$1k for shipping? wha? If its that bad, have it shipped to a buddy that is close to the boarder...then drive over and pick it up yourself! =)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

18. 85blazer350

What your forgetting is the exchange rate from canadian to us dollars 2500 is almost before shipping so if i get one here i save 1500 thanks