Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 shift kit problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jcg, Feb 24, 2002.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm supposed to be moving back to NY on wednesday and I have to pull a uhaul trailer so I put a TransGo shift kit in this weekend. The install was a complete pain in my @ss because just about everything that could have gone wrong did. The biggest problem I had was that the kit was missing the new valve and springs for the 3-2 shift. I was just going to put everything back together stock but then found a broken spring in the 2nd accumulator. I called up a friends dad who's kind of a tranny guru and he said it would be fine to put the whole shift kit in without that one valve, it just wouldn't change the 3-2 downshift at all. So I got it all back together and go to test drive it... OD is totally gone, just revs like it's in neutral. Regular drive works fine, takes right off and the upshifts feel great, real nice and crisp. The downshifts on the other hand almost throw me through the windshield!! I put in a brand new TV cable cause the other one broke trying to take it off the throttle linkage. I adjusted it exactly like the kit said to but the downshifts are still painfull. I'm really pissed about the OD though! Unfortunately I can't just take the shift kit out cause the Transgo kit requires drilling holes in the valve body.

There's no way I can drive 1000 miles pulling a trailer with my tranny like this. If anyone's got any ideas of what might be wrong I'd really appreciate hearing them. Unfortunately I won't be able to talk to my friends dad until tomorrow evening and I need to get this fixed ASAP. I'll be calling Transgo tomorrow too.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

2. COOTER

COOTER Registered Member

The after market tv cable i got is different from the original.
    to make shure its set correctly your gonna have to take the pan back off.when your throttle is wide open the piston your tv cable hooks to in the tranny shold be flush with the sleve it goes in to.your gonna need some one to watch this while you adjust the cable at the throttlebody.hope this helps i had the same problem.I thin you better get a new sping to replace that broke one try talkin to to your local trany shop mine gave me an old one for free.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by COOTER on 02/25/02 05:53 AM.</FONT></P>

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I already checked the piston travel at wide open throttle with the pan off, that's all set. The broken spring was replaced by a new one in the shift kit, which was the only reason I put the shift kit in after I found it was missing parts. I've checked the fluid constantly figuring it just needed a little time to work it's way back through everything but it's been good.

One other strange thing that I noticed was when I first put it together and tried to test drive it, it wouldn't shift out of park. I pulled the pan off and found that the manual valve was stuck just a little too far out of it's bore. As soon as I touched it it popped right back into the bore and the tranny shfted fine, until I shifted back into park and it got stuck again. I played with the shift linkage so it didn't pull the valve out too far and tightened everything up, now it works fine. I didn't know if that might be a part of the problem or not.

Joe

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On ebit of advice if thats an aftermarket TV cable. Don't use it. Even tranny shops I've talked to say don't use the "universal" cables. They have adjustment in them that they shouldn't, and tend to adjust themselves. Not good.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yeah I found that out today, it kept slipping about a half inch as soon as i hit the gas. I set it where it's supposed to be and then persuaded it to stay in place with a large quantity of super glue. That should hold it till I can get to a dealer for a good one tomorrow. Transgo is also overnighting me the missing valves so I should be able to get them in tomorrow. Hopefully that solves all the problems.

I just finished testing it some more and found that I get reverse when I shift into neutral, OD seems like 1st is slipping really bad - it barely drives but takes a lot of rpms to move it and then it doesn't shift at all, and D-2-1 drive fine.
    Unfortunately my brain wasn't turned on saturday at all. If I had been thinking I would have only put in the new servo and 2-4 accumulator parts. I PRAY that this nightmare is over tomorrow afternoon.

Joe