Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 shifting question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skratch, Oct 2, 2004.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I got a new/used tranny from a member here awhile back.
    It has taken me (due to my accident and injuries) a really long time to get it in and the truck running again.
    I started driving it this week and it is shifting at some seriously low points.
    Shifts into 2nd at like 8-10mph, shifts into top gear at such a low RPM that the engine stumbles and almost dies.

I know that the tranny had been behind a diesel before I got it. I swapped out the torque converter for a new B&M towing coverter, and I installed the shift governor thingy on the back left side of the tranny, using the one out of my last tranny.
    However the engine doesn't seem to be spining at excessive RPMs when driving, it's just shifting at odd RPMs

As far as I had been told that would fix it, but it still shifts really low.

1. Is this going to be a problem? (I should never hit top gear off-road)
    2. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

I do plan on getting a cheap Tach here soon to keep an eye on what the heck is going on, and if I can figure out the wiring I'll get my tranny temp gauge installed too.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you set the tv cable properly? Go to www.tvmadeez.com and rea article 101. May help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I thought I had set it right to begine with, but I may be way off.

I'll check that again and reset it and see where it goes from there.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Make sure the TV cable is nice and tight at WOT. As for using top gear offroad, if you mean OD than no because you should pull the shifter down, if you mean third, I use third all the time when in 4lo playing in mud or climbing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah I meant OD.
    I need a tach, but when it hits OD the truck sounds like it's about to die the RPM's get so low and she starts stumbling.

I'm gonna look at Tachs right after school today.

6. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

your shift governor is what tells the tranny when to shift, if the old one was worn out when you put it in, it could possibly cause that problem. and your totally denying your powerband at those early shifts, you could try manually shifting it until you get the problem fixed... good luck

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

in a 700r4 the governer is only 1 of 2 factors in the shift points, the other is the TV cable. if the cable is adjusted too loose it will shift way too soon. if adjusted WAY too loose, at slight exceration at part throttle, almost idle, it will shift EXTREMELY hard into second and not very smoothly, but when at full throttle it will shift smooth and soft, almost too soft.

if the governer was wore out, the valve in the gov. or the gov. body in the case, it will letting too much presure by and not shift, or shift too late.

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys.
    I have another governor and I know this one is good, so I'll stick that in and adjust my TV cable and do all the pressure tests while I'm at it.

Hopefully that will take care of everything , then I can consentrate on making it run better.