Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 to 465 conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chiefheaphy, Apr 23, 2007.

1. chiefheaphy

chiefheaphy 1/2 ton status

When doing the conversion can I reuse the linkage pivot bracket in its stock location for the z-bar or does it have to be moved towards the front and to the top of the framerail?

2. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Just from looking, i'd say it needs to come foward. But i'm in the middle of this swap also and haven't made it to that point yet.

troy

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

first of all I did the swap years ago.. I actually cheated by taking the other frame.....however vest in the hydro clutch conversion... trust me ....
    I thought I would never convert but I will never go mechanical clutch again..

mechanical clutch
    1. hard pedal to push - gets leg cramped and try rush hour!!!!
    2. the clutch rod can fall off or go through the clutch fork - did it to me!!!!!

hydro cluch
    1. easy pedal
    2. no clutch rod to come off

4. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

There is a different bracket that is rivited to the frame further up from the automatic linkage for Standard transmission equipped trucks. I was lazy and didnt want to un-rivet the bracket in the junkyard so I just bought a new bracket (I think from LMC) and bolted it on. My 79 already had the holes in the frame so it was easy as pie.

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Dang! I didn't realize LMC sold those!!!! You oughta see the ugly ass piece of angle iron I have bolted to the outside of my frame to serve the same purpose! :haha::haha: Thanks!

Edit: You wouldn't happen to remember where you got it woulda ya? Doesn't look like LMC has it.

6. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Well if it wasnt LMC then I dont exactly remember who it was... I can say this. When I got it the thing it had a GM parts barcode sticker on it. If there is a dealership nearby you may be able to get one ordered in for a decent price.

7. chiefheaphy

chiefheaphy 1/2 ton status

mech vs. hydro

My rig most likely will never see the highway. Even thoughI know there are advantages to the hydro setup I feel that the mechanical would be a more "bulletproof" system for a 80% trail rig. IF I snap a hydraulic line in the woods I'd be efed. But then again...who knows...ya know?