Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 to SM465 swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chiefheaphy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. chiefheaphy

chiefheaphy 1/2 ton status

Need help with a parts list for the swap. Pros/cons Hydraulic clutch? vs. non-hydraulic???

Thanks

2. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Flywheel for the year of your engine, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, shorter front driveshaft, longer rear driveshaft, pedal assembly. Now I went with a mech clutch, because that was what the donor had. For a mech clutch, you'll need a mech bellhousing and clutch fork, linkage and matching pedal, I'll try to get pics of mine in a few days so you know what to look for. For a hydro clutch, you'll need a master and slave cylinder, plumbing, and a hydro bellhousing. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is in the bellhousing, but they are different part numbers. I mixed and matched parts; engine was 350 in my 90 Burb, flywheel was out of an 86 GM p/u, front driveshaft,pressure plate and clutch plate out of a 76 p/u that the tranny was in, the pedal assembly from a 72 p/u, and the rear driveshaft was an unknown from the salvage yard I had modified to work.

3. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

you don't need a special bellhousing to do hydro clutch. im about to put my 465 in with a novak hydro setup that supports the slave cylinder
    ( found here http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_hcr3.htm ) and im doing a universal master cylinder that is 7/8"
    ( found here http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TIL-74-875U&N=700+115&autoview=sku ) now the only thing i need to worry about is to get my clutch pedal in and buy my new clutch. im going with a centerforce II dual friction clutch ( CTF-DF024909 )

i hope this also helps because non hydro is just not as good. and you need to get a bracket for your frame that is riveted in.

4. chiefheaphy

Mechanical

Im going mechanical because I feel like if hydro busted in the woods your rig would be rendered useless.

Heres what I have.
    Tranny
    Mech. Bellhousing
    clutch fork
    Mech. Pedal assembly

Need(I think)
    Throwout bearing
    z-bar(can I buy one or is it a day at the junk yard grindin rivs?)
    flywheel(168/internal balance sound right for 5.7/350?)
    Clutch(clutch and pressure plate usually come as kit? 11"?)
    Clutch rod
    Any sort of cable needed?
    How bout moving crossmember mount?

I'm not worried about driveshafts right now. Gonna go with some high angle stuff later.

Itll be bad when its done.

Thanks for any help.
    Later,
    Heaph

5. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

when i bought my sm465 (witch isn't in yet) i got everything with it except the z bar and flywheel (168). i would be willing to sell you the stock clutch and PP and linkage cheap if you would want it. that includes throwout bearing too. just let me know cause i have the tranny and alot of stuff sitting in my jimmy just waiting to get installed when i have time. and i wont be using it all.

6. chiefheaphy

I think I may go with a new centerforce as well, but I could probably use the linkage if your never gonna use it. Is it a threaded rod and cable or something? What would you want for it?

7. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

heres some pics of what I did. I made my own bracket for the Z bar and cut a hole just big enough to fit the pedal link through the floor. I made a mistake when cutting the floorboard for the shifter. I didnt realize at the time that the shifter does come off, and so that is whay the hole is soooo huge. I used generic boots for the 4wd and shifter.The second to last pic is the top of the clutch pedal. I used a longer bolt but ran it through the same bracket as the brake pedal. The last pic shows teh crossmember. I had to move it up a few inches from its original location.

4-2-2007 family+truck 013.jpg

4-2-2007 family+truck 014.jpg

4-2-2007 family+truck 017.jpg

4-2-2007 family+truck 020.jpg

4-2-2007 family+truck 022.jpg