Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

700 tranny not liking 3rd...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Feb 24, 2006.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

my 700 tranny is starting to be a little angry, shifting into 2nd it shifts nice and strong, and if im easy on the gas it shifts into 3rd fine, but if i get on it a little more, like merging onto a highway, it shifts 1st to 2nd awesome...then 2nd to 3rd..its seems like its slipping, the RPMS go up about 300 and then goes into 3rd, sorry about the story, but my question is, is my tranny dieing?, or is it something simpler, such as a shift kit to fix it?

ps: shifting 3rd to 4th it shifts fine.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It's dying,,,one day, it won't even go into 3rd,,,that sucks, because it will usually happen without warning.

Workin on my second one now,,,,just barely starting this crap,,,,again.

different trans, not rebuilt, used

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Be nice to it, and don't change the fluid. It'll last for a little while that way. My 89 slipped in every gear but 4th, badly, and it survived for 4 months.

Do turn up your TV pressure a touch, and get a spare tranny ready for when it does go though.

To turn the TV pressure up, go to your throttle linkage, and find the TV cable. Its the cable at the bottom that has the D shaped button on it. Very carefully push the D in, and gently rock the part of the cable housing that is sticking out towards the firewall.

You only want it to move back about 1/16th of an inch or so (1 or 2 ticks) or she'll shift really harsh. If it suddenly lets go, and flies right to the back, then grab the throttle linkage by hand, and open it up to WOT. The cable should pull back out a touch, and probally be a bit further towards the firewall than it was, which is what you want anyways.

You just want a tiny bit more clamping power than you've got right now to try and keep it from slipping as bad as it does by making the shift quicker.

4. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

wow....u must be a tranny god or something, thanks for the info...i think ill try to go do that, thanks a lot for the help.:bow:

5. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

I feel your pain. Mine has been giving me trouble for a year or so. I finally worked up the nerve (and the cash) to take it in for an HD rebuild. $1,700 reuild, but the guy says it will be far stronger than it was. It won't be a Raptor, but it will work. The point is, mine started with the same symptoms as yours. I figured it was going to end up leaving me stranded somewhere so I better pony-up and get it re-built. Good luck.

6. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

thanks man, now all i guess i have to do is start saving up...

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

8. rlhenry

I should have mentioned that the $1,700 includes torque converter and the removal/installation.

9. gmcman355

gmcman355 Registered Member

sounds like you've got a slipping 3/4 clutch pack. when you go to get another trans or rebuild this one be sure to get the 9 disk clutch and an improved servo kit. one of the best things to improve lifespan of these trannies. its a shame you aren't closer to me i build these trannies all the time and can usually put one together with converter for around $750

10. rlhenry

That's exactly what the tranny guy I'm using said. The clutch pack is notorious for having problems so going to a pack with more clutches helps a bunch. He also told me he's not too crazy about the Corvette servo replacement. I think he said the Z71 servo is a better fit for wheeling or towing.